Thursday, June 07, 2007

I never cease to be amazed by the talents of others...

We all have our strengths, and we’re all gifted in different areas. But I have to say, I’m always openly envious of those who are creatively gifted in the area of performance. I always say that I would give almost anything (within reason) to be able to sing like Mariah Carey for just 10 minutes in my life. I’m only half joking when I say it. To be able to sing so effortlessly and have such an instrument as she has – that is just something that is almost magical to me.

While reality television isn’t one of my favorites, I was watching “So you think you can dance” last night. As far as reality television goes, this show is really pretty decent. Some of these people are amazing. A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. Their bodies move like they’re made of fluid; they’ve got a special kind of aura about them when they perform. And so many of them are “untrained”. Just raw talent. Off stage, they’re just normal (or unbelievably bizarre!), but on stage – it’s like a switch goes off – and they are performers who have come to life.

I’m always impressed most with artists or entertainers that make me feel something. As a kid, I didn’t appreciate opera music – and truthfully, how many kids do? But now that I’m more mature (read between the lines: older!), I not only understand the beauty of opera and operatic performances; I also now understand why people would cry at the theatres. An instrument, of any kind – including the voice – can move you to tears. You will feel the performance and experience it with all of your senses – not just hear the music.

I’ve yet to go to the Opera. I’ve yet to go to the Ballet. I’ve yet to see the Boston Symphony Orchestra.
These are things that I need to add to my “list of things to do”.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

I definitely need to add Opera to my list, too. I love the idea of dressing up and hitting the town for a fabulous dinner and a night at the Opera!

bigwhitehat said...

I can't believe you live in Boston and have not seen the BSO. I live in Dallas and I have seen the BSO.

You gotta get out more.

Susan said...

I'm cracking up at Bigwhitehat's comment. I haven't seen the BSO either. Don't feel bad. We should perhaps go together then!

Susan said...

Now we just have to find the time to the BSO. It's a date! : )

chesneygirl said...

I LOVE "So You Think You Can Dance"... I'm a HUGE fan of anything having to do with dance. Have always loved it and always dreamed of being a back-up dancer for someone like Janet Jackson... unfortunately I was born with two left feet!

I also love love LOVE the symphony, I played the violin for 5 years....matter of fact, I was just at the symphony last night but I've never seen the BSO! Now THAT would be spectacular!!! :)