Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Brush, Brush, Brush your teeth...keep them clean each day!

Would you believe, I am 30-something years old – and am just NOW having my very first cavity?
Well, it’s true.

Since I’ve never had one before, and don’t know truly what it feels like – I’m thinking that I have a little cavity on the side of one of my molars.
Shocking.


Although, given my gum chewing habit.....and the fact that I do tend to swish my coffee on the right side of my mouth (yes, I swish my coffee sometimes. Just one of my many “quirks”.), my recent indulgence in chocolate (which I hardly ever ate before); I suppose it shouldn’t really come as that much of a surprise. I guess I just figured, you know....I was out of the realm of possibility of getting cavities any more. I mean, I’m a “grown up”. And I brush my teeth constantly.

Clearly, the cavity causing bacteria that is living in my mouth disagrees with that theory. So, I need to make a dentist appointment.
Here in lies the dilemma.

While I love, love, love going to the dentist to have a cleaning, that is because I never ever have cavities. So my “fear” of the dentist has always been gone. But now I’ve come to discover it’s just been “in hiding”. Truly, it’s not my fear of the dentist so much as it is my fear of having novacaine. (I know, am I a fruit loop or what?) I hate needles. Hate them. When I was pregnant with my children, I still had to have the nurse hold my hand whenever I had blood drawn. I don’t cry or anything silly like that....but I would prefer to have someone to distract me and give me something to squeeze. Funny thing is, it hardly ever really hurts. It’s just the psychological anticipation of the needle that I have a hard time with. This is partly the reason as to why I’ve been procrastinating on getting a tattoo. It’s the whole needle thing.


Sigh........
Anyone willing to come hold my hand the day I have to get my very first filling?

7 comments:

David Sullivan said...

I had a bunch of cavities between 8 and 12 and haven't had one since.

I hate the dentist, so I brush and floss almost obsessively.

Susan said...

Ahh..Just close your eyes. And DON'T LOOK AT THE NEEDLE!!

If you really need a hand, I'm around : )

Lloyd L. Corricelli said...

I never get new cavities, just old fillings that need to be redone after thirty years.

My hand is always available for support, but I hope you already knew that.

ramblin' girl said...

yeah, I'm dreading going this summer. had some cavities as a kid, but not one in a coupla decades... thinking that may be changing...

anyway, to answer your question. I did the redesign on my site... although I'm not completely in love with it yet. like my "winter" one better, but needed something springy! anyway, I'm happy to help ya out, if you want.

Mellissa said...

Go to a dentist who uses gas...its wonderful..

voila - no hand holding and a great buzz. look one up in your area or ask your dentist about it.

xoxo,
Mel

http://www.dentalpartnersofboston.com/services/sedation.shtml

Martie said...

Rebecca, I'll come if you need me....that's what moms and memas are for, but you knew that didn't you? It won't be that bad, I'm sure!

How fortunate for you that you have never before had a cavity. Maybe this one will be the only one you'll ever have!

Hugs

Anonymous said...

Hi again, I was just wondering if you had this done yet and how it went! (And were you a-skeered. )