Wednesday, June 13, 2007

M.I.A.

So yesterday was the beginning of the exercises for my organization here on base. I’m a little tired this morning.
I worked a 14 hour day yesterday – and probably will do the at a minimum the same for the next two days.
So if you don’t hear from me, don’t take it personally – this is the reason why.

I stop at Dunkin’s this morning to get a little boost – and it was 6:00 a.m. which for the Dunkin’s near my house is pretty early. Not only was there a huge drive through line, but the line out the door was too long to wait for as well. So this morning is a day that starts without my joe. Hopefully someone will be nice enough to do a Dunkin’s run for me today! Because if THAT’s any indication of how the day is going to go....... that isn’t a good thing.

What IS a good thing, is that I have kids, because otherwise -- I would be a workaholic. I remember “back in the day” when I used to work here on base FT, and then leave to work at Logan Airport for my second job. I used to be a reservationist for Delta airlines, part time in the evenings and weekends. I didn’t need the second job; I did it purely for fun and for the benefits. Free travel doesn’t hurt any! And then it became purely social. I had a great time when I was there. But I used to work 70 hours a week regularly. Out the door at 6 a.m., and back in the door by 12:45 a.m. Little sleep, lots of caffeine - which I think is why caffeine doesn't really affect me anymore. I never drank coffee before working two jobs; I just never had the taste for it. Then someone suggested it would prevent me from being so tired between the jobs - and here I am today, coffee connoiseur extraordinaire. I did that for just under three years, and believe me when I tell you it took me almost two years to readjust and feel comfortable not running around or “working” all the time.

So having a family has been a good thing for me on many levels.....and not being entirely consumed with a career, is just one of them.

5 comments:

Tim said...

Yowsers! 14 hour workdays- ick.

remember to take some time for yourself - if you can fit it in your schedule.

Suldog said...

As the old saying goes, nobody ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I spent more time at the office."

Just a thought - there are personal coffeemakers that fit a desk. If you want to have your own brew at the ready...

Susan said...

Oh no. Am I like that? Working 2 jobs. Crap. : )

Martie said...

Glad you've changed your ways somewhat! Take time for your family.....they are grown and gone before you know it! Fortunately I get to spend a LOT of time with my grandchilren or I would really feel that old "empty nest syndrome?!

Hugs

Hale McKay said...

From one coffee connoiseur to another, I have to have my two cups of ambition before I am even semi-functional, especially that early in the mornings.