Monday, December 11, 2006

It's beginning to look alot like.....baseball!!

Last night before I went to bed I watched Red Sox Weekly, and they were interviewing (sigh.....) Jason Varitek. They asked him a variety of questions including if he's going to learn Japanese so that he can communicate well with DMat. What I found so very interesting was that when he answered, there was no "Well, we don't know what's happening yet...." or "We'll have to wait and see if we sign him", or anything to that effect. He was very comfortable with answering all of the questions regarding Matsuzaka and spoke as if there was no doubt he was going to be in the rotation next year. I personally feel that we will be signing him, despite all the negativity that's been floating around. I just find it hard to believe that the Sox would pay $50 some odd million to talk to the guy and then only offer $8 million a year. I think they're stuck on the amount of years and free agency - but hey, what do I know? Only time will tell, but Jason surely came across as if it was a no brainer. I've been avoiding watching tapes of DMat, just incase things do fall apart. But I saw a bit of him last night and he is NASTY. It would be very exciting if he is as good as he appears - and can handle the culture change and the environment of being in the Boston market. Which leads me to....

Manny is still a Red Sox!!! I'm so glad nothing has been coming through with regards to trade talks. There is no one that could come close to replacing him in the lineup - and I love, love, love watching him. "Manny being Manny" is part of his charm. I'll take him and his drama any day. He's well worth it.

6 comments:

Peter N said...

Great post from a true fan's point of view. Yours!! But......the uncertainty of the Boras(s)/Sox negotiations leaves me so puzzled, Rebecca. That's what I wrote about today, and will continue to do until late Thursday, which will be an ecstatic day, sunlight and beaming happiness, or a day with tears, quickly evaporating with the dry winds. Peter.

Anonymous said...

All the best women DO like catchers the best! Something to do with our rock-hard thighs from all that squatting, maybe?

Lloyd L. Corricelli said...

Boras is a cancer upon MLB. I'm not going to wish death on him like some Sox fans are but maybe a good case of shingles.

I wonder if D-Mat knows that Boras is jeapordizing his playing in Boston. I have to believe he'd lose much face (which is very important to the Japanese) if he had to go crawling back to the Seibu Lions.

Rebecca said...

hahaha, Suldog - IT IS THE THIGHS, hahaha. That is definitely a draw.... ;) But I have to say with Jason, sigh....it's everything. ;)

Lloyd & Peter - Personally I think Boras is in the business of pulling through at the last hour to look like a hero. I think he's an ass, but you know what - there's a reason why all the top players go with him...

Anonymous said...

the should call it "red sex weekly" or "red hot sex weekly"

Anonymous said...

I read a magazine article about how Varitek likes playing for the Red Sox because it allows him to live in Massachusetts and therefore get married to his Life Partner, Steve. I think it was The Advocate.