Tuesday, December 12, 2006

All is calm.....all is bright.....

Growing up, I lived in an apartment in a house. We moved a few times when I was younger, but we weren't able at that time to afford our own home. It was far more difficult to buy a house back then, then it is now and my Dad was self employed - which back then made it nearly impossible to buy anything. Who am I kidding - it's become far easier to buy a house in the last 10 years than it ever was before. But I digress... So, as a kid we weren't able to put lights on our house during Christmas. Or maybe we could've - but it would've been quite a hassle for my parents and where it wasn't their house...more of a bother than what they would've wanted to deal with. So instead like most families, we used to drive around and look at all the houses that were lit up and decorated. I loved that - one of my favorite parts of the holiday season.

This year, while not my first year owning a home by any stretch - is the first year that I have lights on my own house! There's a company that does our landscaping - that also does Christmas lights now. It's very inexpensive...they set it all up, put it on a timer - and take it down at the end of the season. And what's even better is that when you order next year they give you a discount so that everything is less expensive each year you use them, which allows you to build on if you so choose to. Pretty nice!

I take my kids out one or two nights a week after dinner to look at the lights. I get them into their cozy clothes...fill a cup with hot cocoa and go to different neighborhoods and towns to go look at the lights. And while they love turning the corner to our street and seeing our house, it's not the same for them. I'm the one who is really excited when I see my own house aglow.



Your Christmas is Most Like:

A Charlie Brown Christmas

Each year, you really get into the spirit of Christmas.
Which is much more important to you than nifty presents.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Charlie Brown Christmas" for me, too.

chesneygirl said...

When I was growing up we always did the same thing! And it is still one of my favorite holiday traditions too!!

Is that your house?
Whether or not it is, the lights are beautiful!!

Rebecca said...

Hey Chesney Girl -
Yup. Its my house! :)

EB said...

OMG - that is the best service I have ever heard of! They will be rich one day! Your house looks beautiful! Enjoy the Holidays!

Lloyd L. Corricelli said...

Sort of takes all the fun out of decorating your house if you ask me!

Martie said...

Your house looks beautiful all lit up for the holidays! What a great service for a landscaper to offer! We always had lights on our house as a kid, but this is the 2nd year we haven't done it to our house....hmmm. I guess I'll need to light a fire underneath 'hubby/Bumpa' next year!

Anonymous said...

I love it!!!!