Sunday, October 29, 2006

Who's reachin' out to capture a moment...everyone knows it's Windy!

It was an incredibly blustery day today... I don't know what the wind gusts were up to, but let me tell you - it was flipping windy!

But....I did pretty darn good for a first timer! I started out going much faster than my usual speed; I run 12 minute miles on the treadmill - and I was way under that for the first mile. Mostly from the excitement I felt - and partly because I wanted to keep up with the people who were experienced. It's that competitive nature I've got! By the 1.5 mile mark, I had to slow down significantly. The wind made it so hard for me to keep my breath and breathe properly, plus I was excited which didn't help any so I really messed up. For about a half mile, I fast walked/jogged until I could get that nasty sidestitch to go away. Then I ran the rest of the way in, and managed to keep a good pace.

I didn't come in nearly as high as I thought I had....someone misinformed me of the total amount of people who ran, and I came in the bottom half instead of in the top half as I'd been led to believe. But that's okay! My time was 33.44 and my pace was 10:53. I still ran faster than I normally do on the treadmill - I wonder how I might have done had I not had to fight the wind, or kept my own wind better? But either way, it doesn't matter.....I'm feeling pretty good about it! And, I loved it. I felt almost high afterwards...

This was my first time running outdoors....and my first race.
And yet another item scratched off my "To Do"list!

6 comments:

EB said...

That is GREAT! You go girl!

Martie said...

I think that's wonderful! Good for you, girl! I would have done well, just to be able to finish it in one day....lol!

Suldog said...

Way excellent! I haven't run any distance since I was in high school. I used to run cross-country then. Now if I run from first to third I'm winded.

*** said...

Way to go, Rebecca! My friend and I were just discussing possibly training for a marathon of some sort or traithlon. I am very envious! Sorry I haven't been around much lately. Hope to fix that!

chesneygirl said...

GOOD FOR YOU, REBECCA!!!! :)

My brother, for the first time ever, ran a half marathon on Sunday. He had been sick the whole week before and still wasn't 100% at start time but he did it anyway.
He finished 1186 out of 4440.
He said it was the hardest thing he's ever done. He expected the physical challenge but was very suprised how challenging it was mentally as well.

Anonymous said...

That's fantastic!