Friday, October 13, 2006

Weddings and Funerals.....

My Uncle passed away in the early hours of this morning.
I got the call around 4:30 a.m. - I'd been up all night, and finally fallen asleep a half hour earlier - so the phone call didn't shock me or surprise me as it might had I been sleeping soundly.

My Uncle was far too young, too healthy, too kind of a person for this to have happened. My Aunt shouldn't have to go through the feelings of anger, despair, sorrow and lonliness that she's going to encounter at various times, for more than likely the rest of her life. They had the kind of love you see in movies and wish you had yourself. I'm sure they argued and had their moments, but it was clear they adored and took care of each other. You could see it in their interactions with one another. It wasn't supposed to be this way...and yet, it is this way.

Over the past few days, I've been in contact with family members whom I love dearly - but don't often keep in touch with. It's not as if we live far away from each other, some of us are only a few miles apart; but life just sort of gets in the way and you lose touch. It's no one's fault, it's just the way things go sometimes. So the upcoming days are going to be bittersweet.....obviously, we'll all be together for a horrible reason. But it's always so much fun when we all get together, even when it's for a wake and a funeral. The bonding of friends and family is so powerful at times like these - and it sort of lightens the load of the sadness.

It's funny, I remember being younger and hearing the "grownups" always say, "Weddings and Funerals... the only time we see each other is at weddings and funerals." As a kid, I didn't put much stock into it because I was too young to attend many weddings - and didn't have to go to many funerals. And the ones I did go to, I never understood why everyone was laughing and joking when my beloved family member had died. How insensitive I thought it was.
But as a "grownup", I get it.

So now, despite the occasion for which we're all gathering, I'm sort of looking forward to the feelings that only being surrounded by your friends and family can provide. That is where the healing can begin.

7 comments:

Peter N said...

Rebecca, my name is Peter. And I read your comment at Jere's place...a great blog it is. I am so sorry for your loss. My name is Peter and I'm from Connecticut. I write a blog..you can find it through my profile. I just wanted to pass on to you my sincerest best wishes in these tough times. Take care and stay strong...Peter N.

Peter N said...

And you're all set. On this sad day. Stay well...Peter

Michelle said...

I'm sorry to hear this news. So tragic.

You're right about family though. There's comfort there that isn't found any where else, even when you aren't a part of eachother's every day lives.

Good luck this weekend.

Martie said...

My deepest sympathy to your family and your dear aunt. May you all gain some comfort knowing that your unlce is now in the home of his Lord.

I'll be thinking of you this weekend.

Lloyd L. Corricelli said...

Rebecca, I am so sorry for your loss. I know as strong as you are, you'll handle it as gracefully as you do every other hurdle life throws at you.

EB said...

Was away from the computer for a few days but wanted to check in on you and see what had happened with your Uncle - I am so sorry for your loss. It seems so unfair that you and your family have to deal with this loss. My thoughts are with you.

Anonymous said...

Big hugs to you!!