Monday, October 23, 2006

A serial show about a serial killer?

So, I've been watching Showtime's new show "Dexter".
I'm trying....really trying to love this show. But I'm having such a difficult time bonding with the main character.
Here's the thing. I should love this show....it's got alot of the components that would go into my liking it. For example:

1. The plot. A story about a serial killer...but one with a heart, despite his thinking he doesn't have one. And - he's a vigilante. He quenches his "thirst" if you will, by stalking people who the justice system sets free...those who should be punished but get off somehow. I like that. I've always been fascinated with the darker side of the mind and serial killers, so one would think this is right up my alley, right?

2. The cast. Showtime was smart - and casted a bunch of my favorite HBO castoffs. If you watched the now defunct OZ, or Six Feet Under you'll find some of your many favorite characters who were normally on opposite sides of the fence from each other - on the same page. I still giggle when I see them all together in a scene.

But... and there's always a "but"....

The lead character is from Six Feet Under and he was formerly "David" - one of the brothers, and he was a homosexual. He played the part brilliantly. However, so much as I try to not think of him as "David pretending to be Dexter" - I can't help it. And partly that might be as a result of him still seeming very....homosexual. Now, don't get me wrong - I understand that the psyche of many serial killers toys with asexuality, homosexuality and autoerotica - so maybe he's supposed to be coming off that way. But it's making it very difficult for me to become attached to him, no matter how apathetic and human he is despite his affliction with murder. I just can't get away from the fact that he's someone else.

Actually, I'm sort of more interested with the side storylines than the main plot of his character.
Maybe it just is going to take some more time.

But either way - kudos to Showtime for trying to trek in HBO's shows. Because outside of "Fat Actress", their weekly television shows are mediocre in comparison to HBO. Dexter just might break through that barrier, if they can reel people into this show - and keep them there.

No comments: