Monday, October 02, 2006

Sometimes I just don't understand people.....

If a friend, or family member of mine, is doing well in their lives - I'm happy for them.

If someone I know is trying to better themselves - I always support and provide encouragement. From the get go.... not as an afterthought. I don't start off with negative comments, accusatory remarkes - and then at the end say "oh....well, good for you then! I'm happy for you..."

This weekend, the fact that I'm signed up for this 5K - and my physical appearance in general seems to have become a point of contention for some people around me. Crazy, isn't it?

No one can just say "good for you!". There's got to be comments about how I don't ask for advice.... (First, let me just ask this - who asks for advice on this stuff? It's not like I haven't been working out for years!!! It's running 3 miles, not brain surgery!!!); how I'm not working out or eating the right way; how I can't possibly be the size that I am without being anorexic. Yes, the term anorexic was used. Huh???? I've been this size my whole life!!! And I'm sorry - I don't think that anyone looks at me and thinks "Nicole Ritchie/Kate Bosworth". No one looks at me and thinks "um, she's frail looking". Petite - yes. Frail? No....

By the end of the conversation the feedback was positive. But I don't get why I have to defend myself or justify my very being sometimes. And while I do know that some of these people are just really envious of everyone no matter what the situation is....and some of them really arent necessarily this way, but they get influenced easily by the others - it still boggles my mind.


Honestly... I'm just so tired of it.

6 comments:

Martie said...

The next time someone says "anorexic" to you.....upchuck on them!!! That'll learn 'em!

chesneygirl said...

I'm sorry, Rebecca. that is frustrating!

I've had a similar issue too, just in the other end of it.

I work out on a regular basis (3-5 times a week) pretty consistently for the last 5-6 years (with the exception of my pregnancy and the first few months following) and when people find out that I do, I get these surprised looks and "you do's???"
And they don't take me seriously, you know why? Because I don't have the figure of Jessica Simpson or Janet Jackson or Jane Fonda.
Just because I'm not pefectly toned, fit and trim they can't believe that I REALLY work out that often.
It's so frustrating...sometimes even hurtful.

bigwhitehat said...

Why do you care?

The problem aint what other folks say. The probem aint how thin you are. The problem seems to be how thin your skin is.

Consider these questions.
Are you happy with how you look?
Are you happy with how you feel?
Is there any substance to their critism at all?

Now again, why do you care? You are who and what you are. People's opinions really don't matter. Including mine.

Rebecca said...

You're right BWH.... it's true. And honestly, their opinions don't really hold any water with me...it's the fact that I shouldn't have to explain myself constantly on every little thing. It gets old after a while.

Who needs the drama?

Big Ben said...

Becca, sometimes is hard being sexy. I have the same problem - i must be on steriods or something.

Cheryl said...

Good for you!

There. I said it.

They're jealous, all of them. :)