Thursday, March 02, 2006

6 Degrees of Separation...

The world is a small place. You just never know how small, until you meet someone and start talking about where you're from and who you know. Or when you see someone for what you think is the first time - and it turns out that it's not.
Blogging is a similar thing. It's sort of like - you can blog surf, and about the 6th blog you hit - you will recognize someone from your own blogroll.
It's a bizarre phenomenon.

I met Glitter for coffee yesterday..... She's absolutely adorable! And I think she does lead a charmed life. :)
Really, a nice girl - and we knew that we probably would know similar people because of growing up one town over from each other anyway; but the more we talked about where we've been in life, and who we knew - the smaller the circle got. I'm surprised we hadn't run into each other someplace previously - although chances are, we probably were at some of the same shows at the same time - and just didn't know each other at that point. We hung out for a couple of hours, and I could've stayed all day - except my massage awaited me! So, unfortunately when I realized the time - I had to bolt out of there. We're going to have to - at a minimum - have coffee again - if not go to a concert/show together.

Off to my massage..... the best massage I've ever had in my life. I'm not kidding. I prefer deep tissue ones as opposed to lighter touch massage - they just work really well for me. She was amazing. I didn't realize just how tense I was. I had told her that I wasn't all that tense, she should see me when I am - but let me tell you. I didn't realize how sore and knotted I truly was. I was able to breathe so much better after I left her yesterday. I was relaxed, my muscles were relaxed....it was wonderful. If anyone lives in the North Shore area - you've got to go to Evangeline.

Next stop - the hair salon. So, I had an appointment with Erika, who is practically a celebrity in the area. It seems that everyone I know goes to her and loves her! Since I'm more the "impulse" hair girl, rather than the "planned 12 week appointment" hair girl - it's been painful to get in to see her. I thought about it yesterday, and it's been just under a year since I've been trying. So - as I mentioned- the stars were aligned and I was able to get in. Well....

I walk up to the counter, and this really cute girl says to me "Hi, you must be Rebecca"...and so I said "Hi, you must be Erika!" and then she said.... "I know you from somewhere..." Turns out - this was a girl I coached when she was 14 and I was 19 - for Pop Warner Cheerleading! I LOVED Erika. So much so, that I made her Co-Captain for the Squad. We were only supposed to pick a Captain, but I loved her and another girl so much - we split it up. What a small world! When I told her how I knew her cousin - and rattled off the different clients of hers that I knew - I told her that it was so funny because no one ever mentioned her last name. Not even her cousin! She's always just "Erika at Nicolo's".... So, not only was I happy to see her - she did an amazing job. Amazing. I didn't even do my hair today really - and everyone's been commenting that it looks awesome. Which always make a girl freel good.

So now - I've booked ahead. Guess my days of being impulsive are over!

I had a great day....
It had laughter and friendship; it had relaxation and serenity....it had coincidence and glamour, and satisfaction.
And I'm still feeling the after effects of it all today!


Here we are, just before leaving Starbucks...
(And pre- awesome hair cut!)

7 comments:

Susan said...

Yes, Yes, Yes..more coffee or a show awaits!

I'm glad you had a great day yesterday! I did too!

clew said...

YAY! Sounds like a fabulous day! Cant wait to see the new 'do!

Naive and I will savor a rangoon in your honor this weekend. :) Thanks for the well wishes!

*** said...

Oh, I sooo wish I lived in that area! I really need a good hairdresser. Lana moved on about two years ago and it hasn't been the same since!

And you're really making me think about getting in for a massage. I think I need it!

Glad you enjoyed yourself and got to meet a local fellow blogger. Look forward to hair pics!

Ben O. said...

Isn't that just the way . . . the one day you don't do your hair, you run into someone that you would rather look decent for, but everyone you meet tells you how great your hair looks. I sometimes wonder why I even try.

Ben O.

chesneygirl said...

What a fabulous day!!

I know what you mean about the small world thing....I posted about something similar back in October. My husband and I have gotten to be really close with a couple from church. After a unfortunate incident the girl and I discovered we knew each other way back when. It was SOO wierd!

A great hairdresser is priceless isn't it? I have one and I don't know what I'd do if she ever left....she's going on maternity leave for three months, I'm very happy and excited for her but at the same time I can't help but be freaked out about what I'm going to do while she's gone!

Michelle said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful day. I'd be jealous if I weren't set up for a great weekend myself. Forgetting for a minute that the baby woke up with a fever. HAHN!

You look alot like my friend Denise. Have you ever seen someone and felt an instant connection, like you already knew them, just because they reminded you of someone else?

Rebecca said...

Hey Naive -YES, I have experienced that before. It's funny, one of my friends in work I just sort of felt close to immediately because she reminds me of a good friend I used to have, that moved away... ;)