Friday, March 03, 2006

A little goes a long way....

Every day, I thank God for my health - and the health of my family. I pray that never changes - and that we won't have to face any tragic circumstances outside of the normal "wear and tear" sickness and illnesses that we have to endure as part of just being alive.

I always have believed that "what goes around, comes around", and so I always try to treat others the way I'd like to be treated. And while I donate financially to charities as best I can - and I always donate my children's toys and clothing to those less fortunate than we are, sometimes I think I can do more.

One of the things I am doing, is growing my hair. I want to donate it to
Locks of Love. This is an organization that donates hair from people who aren't sick - to make wigs and falls for people who are, usually Cancer patients. To see the women and children who are being ravaged by chemotherapy feel good about themselves again, is just a small way that I can help.

I need to have an extra 10" to donate, and so I'm trying not to lose patience while I'm letting it grow. The hair cut from yesterday, isn't a real "hair" cut per se - just a style improvement. It's all angled into my face, instead of straight down, as in the picture w/ Glitter. When your hair is as long as mine is at the moment - any improvement is a huge one.

Helping others who are sick, in need or less fortunate than we are at the moment - is something that I am hoping to teach my children by example. Small things such as "sharing" old clothes, old toys - and even extra hair - can help heal other people's hearts and spirits in ways that just donating money to an organization, can never do.

7 comments:

Mellissa said...

Rebecca,

How wonderful, how loving of you to do this.

My neice did this when she was 12 years old.

It speaks volumes about your character - and your heart.

You are really a lovely woman and I am more inspired/impressed with you every day!

Mellissa

*** said...

I considered doing that years ago, but you're right, it's a long process. I never did make it. I cut it right after I had Nathan. Kind of like a movie or something.

Ms. M said...

What a great thing to do! I wish I could something like that, but my hair doesn't grow beyond my shoulders for some reason. Plus, I have a disease that is making me lose my hair and it's gotten very THIN! Hell, I may need your hair someday!

Big Ben said...

I donate small amounts to charities so they will send me the return address labels!

Fantastagirl said...

Wow - you are a generous woman - Hang in there - someone is going to really appreciate your gift!

Cheryl said...

You do wonderful things, Rebecca. Tells us what kind of a person you are.

chesneygirl said...

Good for you Rebecca!!

I know alot of friends and family that have donated their hair too this organization.