Friday, March 17, 2006

When Irish Eyes are Smiling......

St. Patrick's Day in Boston is a pretty big deal. It's a holiday that goes on for a week in many a bar; and officially - everyplace else - from today, through the St. Patrick's Day Parade in Southie on Sunday.

I used to love St. Patrick's Day. I loved wearing those "Kiss Me I'm Irish" pins in High School. I didn't get kissed - but it was still fun to wear the pin. I started dating my high school sweetheart in my Senior Year - and he was Irish. Very Irish. His Dad was President of the Irish American Club - and his grandparents and aunts all lived in Southie. So, he would take me into see the Parade, which is quite the experience. Being with the "locals", I suppose I saw a better side of it than most. It was amazing - strangers would just invite us into their homes and feed us! They'd say "Who are you with?", or "Who are you related to" - and my boyfriend would answer "the Ryan's on D Street"....and we were welcome. I guess you could equate it with going to the Italian feasts - but with more danger. Southie was always a little rough, especially if you didn't know someone to bring you around. At least from this girl's perspective. I grew up 5 miles outside of Boston, but it was far enough away to be wide eyed and innocent to certain walks of life.

I, despite my appearance - am not Irish. I've always been asked if I am, guess it's just because I'm blonde with light eyes. And - contrary to usual - I did not wear green today.

The only thing green about me today are my eyes and my Martini's!
Oh - and the cabbage that's cooking in my pot right now - alongside the Corned Beef.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

What's up girl! I didn't realize you were in Boston. Two of my best friends are in Boston today and this weekend for a wedding. I'm so jealous! Have a good weekend chic!

Cheryl said...

The love of my life was Irish--and I never married that one! My first husband (father from Transylvania/Austria) lived in the Back Bay. We avoided Southie when I visited because we heard it was so rough.

Michelle said...

HELP, I need some ideas for our "Beer Tasting Party" from the quintessential party girl/host.

Email your brilliant ideas to naive-no-more@sbcglobal.net

Thanks

Big Ben said...

Don't think you would have had trouble getting kisses with that pin. I would have pinched your butt and said I was dyslexic!

chesneygirl said...

this is probably going to sound retarded...but I wouldn't have had a clue what 'Southie' was if I'd have never seen Good Will Hunting! hahaha!! (one of my all-time favorites too, btw)

I had Corned Beef and cabbage for dinner last night too...AND I wore green! (and I'm not even irish)

bigwhitehat said...

If you would have worn that pin where I grew up, you would have been kissed. Alot. Hell, you wouldn't need a pin. There was a whole lotta kissin' goin' out there.