Monday, March 06, 2006

The Aftermath.....

I stayed up and watched the Academy Awards for the first time in many years. I think it was well worth it.
I actually thought that while Jon Stewart got off to a bit of a rocky start, he was pretty funny. Pretty, pretty funny.

As I mentioned a few months back - Crash was by far, one of the better movies to come out of La La Land in quite some time. And it's interesting that Matt Dillon was nominated for an Oscar, but it's so very difficult to select just one individual in an ensemble movie such as that. While I would've liked to have seen him win (he was my crush from the age of 10 through 16 - him, and only him! Well, until Bon Jovi came around...but I digress!), I knew it would be impossible to compare his character to one that is onscreen for longer than 12 minutes. But I'm thrilled that the movie won, because in my opinion - it was a well deserved selection.

One of my all time favorite actors won for Best Actor. I adore Philip Seymour Hoffman. He is one of the greatest character actors of our generation. I can not wait to see Capote. And while he's quirky, has hygiene issues (according to the latest that's come out about him) as well as drug issues - he's just such a talent. I admire his abilities tremendously. Love, love, love him.

Which brings me to Reese Witherspoon. While I really enjoy her movies - I even own a few on DVD - I have to say I'm surprised at her winning the award. While she was commercially the favorite, I really thought Felicity Huffman was deserving - as well as Judi Densch. We've rented "Walk the Line" for tonight, so who knows - maybe my mind will be changed after watching it.

This was one of the better years Hollywood has seen with movie production. And I'm really glad I watched the Awards. So many movies that I'm really looking forward to renting.

Yes.... it was bittersweet for me. And it probably always will be.

8 comments:

chesneygirl said...

I will be surprised if your mind is NOT changed after you see the super excellent performance Reese does in the movie...that is now in the top five of my all time favorites!!!

Looking forward to your review!
Enjoy!

Rebecca said...

Okay.....
Fantastic.

Not only was I pleasantly surprised at how good Reese was - I really, really enjoyed Joaquim Phoenix. He's one of my least favorite actors - but I have to confess, he was superb in this. Yes, I said superb. The intensity with which he looked at "June" throughout the movie was enough to make a girl wish that someone looked at her that way! ;) He was passionate, and troubled, but not hokey like I thought he would have come off. And while he doesn't look like Johnny Cash per se - he truly had his expressions and body language to a T. I'm sort of thinking that while I hadn't seen Capote just yet, and do adore Philip Seymour Hoffman - maybe, Joaquim was robbed due to the success of "Ray" last year.

Either way - definitely a solid piece of work by both actors.

I LOVE when I see a good movie. It doesn't happen very often, so I'm really glad that this wasn't a dissapointment.

clew said...

Naive and I watched Walk the Line this weekend. Loved it!

The rangoons were REALLY good, BTW.

;)

Bougie Black Boy said...

I was hoping Felicity would win. I absolutely love her.

Matt Dillon? hmm... I'm not so sure about him. His role wasn't that strong in Crash.
And, i was highly disturbed that the theme song from Hustle and Flow beat out the other desireables

*** said...

I grew up with my parents listening to a lot of Johnny Cash and my dad practically aspired to be him, so I really had no interest in "Walk the Line." I do admit that now I have a slight desire to watch it. You'll have to let me know if it's worthwhile.

Crash definitely deserved to win, although I am not up on all the other nominees.

Big Ben said...

Not a huge Reese fan. Like Phillip S. Like Jon Stewart. That's it.

bigwhitehat said...

Glad you enjoyed it.

Michelle said...

Did you know that Reese and Joaquin did their own singing in that movie?