Thursday, September 15, 2005

I'm reaching a milestone shortly....

Saturday is my birthday, and I'm going to be 35. I'm halfway to 40. I can't believe it. Not that it's a bad thing - and 40 totally isn't old, but I just can't believe that I am approaching that "Big 40". I'm almost potentially half way through my life. But I know that isn't really the truth, and I think that 40 is often where life is only beginning. Especially for women. I think women's bodies look better into their 40s and 5o's. Muscle maturity happens much later for women than men; and I think that old myth of "Men grow dignified, Women grow old" is changing. I think that we as a creature are looking better, staying in better shape - and maturing far more gracefully than most men. It's amazing because I swear, when I look in the mirror - I'm only 18! hahaha. Okay - maybe 25. But you get what I mean.

So, in honor of my upcoming birthday - which I will be celebrating at my girlfriend's wedding - here are a few tidbits about me and the day on which I was born. Enjoy!

My Zodiac: Virgo, but on the cusp of Libra - Because of their responsibility and attention to detail, those born on the Virgo/Libra cusp tend to be perfectionists. They may worry about small details, but this is often necessary when attempting to be as fair and diplomatic as possible. They are team workers, skilled at cooperative action, but they can also be self-doubting. Open-minded and always polite, they have a strong sense of loyalty because of their ability to put themselves into the shoes of others. Virgo/Libras love to debate but not to quarrel; a fine distinction that is nonetheless very important. They are kind and considerate, and they rarely display anger. Instead, they may employ subtle means of getting even when their strong sense of fairness and legality, or their refined sensitivities, are violated.


My Chinese Zodiac: The Dog - Honest , faithful and possessing deep loyalty and responsibility. Can be magnanimous and prosperous, yet also guarded and defensive, never really relaxed despite outer calm. She has a glib tongue, practical and realistic. The Dog is also trustworthy and generous to people and has a deep sens of justice..
This maybe the most likable sign of all in the Chinese cycle. A person born in the year of the Dog is honest, intelligent and straightforward. He has a deep sense of loyalty and a passion for justice and fair play. A dog native is usually animated and attractive and will exude sex appeal. Generally amiable and unpretentious, he will know how to get along with others as he is not too demanding. The egalitarian dog likes to meet others halfway, is always willing to listen to reason and can be counted on to do his share. For a friend, you must know that whenever you are in trouble, all you have to do is dial D-O-G. At times, the dog protects the interests of others more avidly than his own. The Dog often sticks to his object of affection no matter how unworthy the person is. You don't find a dog leaving home just because he discovers that his master has the proverbial feet of clay. He makes allowances for such frailties and will probably stick it out thick or thin.


World Events that Happened the Day I was Born:
1970 Jordan launches offensive against guerrilla army and Jordanian King Hussein moves against PLO guerrillas and WSWP TV channel 9 in Grandview, WV (PBS) begins broadcasting


Top 10 Songs:
1. Bridge Over Troubled Water, Simon and Garfunkel 2. (They Long To Be) Close To You, Carpenters 3. American Woman / No Sugar Tonight, The Guess Who 4. Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head, B.J. Thomas 5. War, Edwin Starr 6. Ain't No Mountain High Enough, Diana Ross 7. I'll Be There, Jackson 5 8. Get Ready, Rare Earth 9. Let It Be, The Beatles 10. Band Of Gold, Freda Payne

I'd like to think of myself as a bottle of wine.... ready to drink now - but spectacular further on down the road. :)

7 comments:

Susan said...

Happy early birthday!

Jerrster said...

I love reading about what was going on when someone was born...1970 you were born and I was in a garage band playing "American Woman" at school dances. heehee...35?(you look 25 ) 35 is fine. 40 is OK. 50 well thats where I'm at and it's totally fine...just have to act 17 is all...balances it all out.

got here via Jerkofalltrades.

nice blog.

Rebecca said...

Hey Jerry - Thanks for coming by! I'll be sure to check your blog out as well. :) Funny, from your band days to my birthday seems like a long time apart; but in reality - the distance from 35 to 50 is relatively short. You're right - it's all a state of mind!

Rebecca said...

Thanks for the bday wishes Glitter! I'll be dancing my butt off at the wedding on Saturday. Kinda cool that I get to be all dolled up and hanging with all my girlfriends. Can't think of a more fun way to spend the day... :)

Rebecca said...

Hey Jag - Thanks! I'm going to link to you too... :) I think it's pretty funny we're both "Just a Girl"... great minds think alike, eh? :)

Lori said...

Happy Birthday! As one who's already in the 40 club (I'll be 44 on Oct. 17th), you have nothing to fear. Yes, the body changes and you wake up a little stiffer than you did at 30 (OK...a LOT stiffer!) but...it's all good!

But enjoy the last five years of the 30's while you're there. We're not getting older, just better..right?!

Rebecca said...

Hi Lori -
Thanks for the kind words! I totally believe women are aging far better nowadays! And thanks for coming by! Feel free to visit anytime.... :)