Monday, September 19, 2005

The Fruits of my Labor

So, I'm a girl who was born and raised in the city. We just recently moved to the 'burbs - in a relatively country type area. It's wonderful here...we have woods in our backyard, our neighbors have chickens and a rooster (who I love hearing in the morning, it really makes me feel like I'm on a farm!), and all sorts of wildlife around us - turkeys, fox, coyote - you get the picture.

So this summer I was determined to start a garden. I've never done it before, and having always had a black thumb (aka laziness) I've never been successful at keeping any type of plant alive, outside of my hanging petunia plants. So on Memorial Day weekend, I got up early and went to the nursery and bought all sorts of plants: tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini, squash, and red peppers. I even bought herbs like basil, chives, sorrell and cilantro. I was going to be a gardener! My husband looked at the area I picked to start it and he was like "no way you'll get this all weeded and turned over...you're going to need a backhoe". That's all I needed to hear. Within 3 hours, I had my 3 x 5 foot area set and ready to go. (I got planters for my herbs, that was just for the veggies.) When he came home, he was like "you're a maniac! I can't believe you got that done". Oh yeah, a maniac I definitely was. And now - I'm addicted.

I just came in from picking what's probably going to be my last bunch of fresh veggies for the season. I have a bunch of tomatoes that are still waiting to ripen, but as far as new growth, I think I'm done for the year. Can I just tell you - I'm so proud of myself! This city girl done good...

Hmmm. I guess this would make me a little bit country....and a little bit rock 'n roll, right? :)

8 comments:

McSwain said...

I could really date myself by saying I remember the purple socks that went along with that song!! I have a black thumb myself, but you're right--it's laziness. Anyway, found you through my brother (Max), and I like your place! I'll come back...

Kodijack said...

Nice job Rebecca, very impressive.

If you get frost pull the whole tomato plant out of the ground and hang it upside down in your shed, or basement. The tomatoes will continue to ripen on the vine.

Rebecca said...

Hi Cheryl - No worries, I remember the television show as well - and I'm almost ashamed to admit that I STILL remember all the lyrics to "Lollipops, Lace and Lipstick" off Donny Osmond's solo album! hahaha. Thanks for your kind words! I've seen you in a few sites I saw Max's site (sites I was lurking on!) so it's nice to come full circle. Thanks for stopping in! I'll come visit you as well. :)

And Kodi - Thank you! We're still very warm (70s at night - high 80s during the day), but if we suddenly dip - which happens in NE pretty quickly, I'll definitely do that!

GlitterGlamGirl05 said...

I'm impressed! Country & Rock and Roll are always good!! : ) Speaking from experience no less!

steelcowboy said...

It is good to get back to the earth, and feel the soil under one's hands.

Rebecca said...

Hey Cowboy - your note immediately brought the lyrics to "Cowboy Take Me Away" by the Dixie Chicks to mind!

Bougie Black Boy said...

I'm a country boy, at heart, and I miss the fresh vegetables. Grew up on 55acres of land! Great Post! Thanks for visiting mine as well. (Yeah, Max is my new American Idol. I think I'll strive to be him)

JAX said...

You go girl! I am a city girl at heart too living in the country somewhat.

I tried to grow veggies in my yard but we have too much shade.