Monday, August 18, 2008

Monday Musings....

So, today I was home unexpectedly; my sitter called in for today.

What surprised me more than that, is the fact that I can't use sick time! I called in sick to my company and was honest that my sitter called in; I have to make up the time because they won't let me use sick time. Which is interesting - maybe other companies work that way as well - but I've never been told I can't use sick unless I'm personally sick myself. Every company I've ever worked for either had combined vacation/sick time, it was just time off -- or, if you were sick and didn't have the time to use, you used vacation - and vice versa. So, had I lied and said I wasn't feeling well, I could've used the sick time I've earned. How is it that works as a benefit? Having someone monitor the usage of your earned time? Interesting. I wonder if there would also be a determination as to just how sick I am before it would be considered valid enough of a reason not to come in. Okay...I'm sorry -- I'm getting catty now. Good thing I haven't mentioned that my sitter is 8 months pregnant. What the heck would I do if she couldn't come in? However it is, I'm just glad that I am going to be self employed at some point.

Speaking of sitters... I've received not one response to my ad looking for part time after school help. I'm wondering at what point should I be in panic mode....

So, seeing as it was gorgeous out today -- a day at Water Country it was. I'd never been before, and wow -- it was quite impressive. My public restroom issues aside, it's quite clean. And fun! And as far as the food goes -- it was pretty darn good. However, I didn't realize that they allow coolers and such because Canobie Lake doesn't, so I assumed the same for here -- and yet they do. So next time we go -- this girl is packing a feast. It was so hot today, some of the awesome peaches we picked this weekend would've been so good.

Ah yes, the tomato and corn festival at our favorite farm was cancelled.....seems they were flooded with all the rain from last week. We were crushed. However...not only did I find a beautiful farm in Amesbury to go peach, nectarine, blueberry and raspberry picking -- but I found a new farm to go to in Sherbourne next weekend for a tomato and corn festival. Fingers crossed for beautiful weather this Saturday....

So now this girl is very tired...very tan....and looking forward to the lasagna that's cooking in the oven at the moment. Thank goodness for no-boil lasagna pasta. It makes life that much easier when you're wanting some good ol' fashioned comfort food.

5 comments:

Greens and Pinks said...

I was SO FREAKING MAD about the festival being canceled. Literally my entire family planned on going. I clicked on the link to Sunshine Farm in Sherborn - it says their festival was the 17th? Is it really this coming weekend? Because if so I am so there!

Rebecca said...

Oh no! Last weekend it said the 24th.... checking now..

Lloyd L. Corricelli said...

Doesn't the family leave and sick act allow you to take sick time to care for family members? I'm pretty sure it's the law.

Suldog said...

So, your place of employment encourages lying, I guess :-) Do you need an actual doctor's note, or do they just take your word? That is just plain stupid on their part.

Rebecca said...

Suldog - Exactly my point. Odd, huh?

Lloyd - Yes, if I had a family emergency, but I don't think this would've qualified, you know what I mean?