Friday, August 08, 2008

Badger hates Society, and invitations, and dinner, and all that sort of thing.

Blogging is a funny world, people come and go. Although I have to say that the bulk of people who are on my blogroll I’ve been in contact with since my first venture into the “blogosphere”. I don’t get to blogsurf as often as I’d like, and so I don’t often get to contribute to other’s worlds as much as I’d like to. But lately I’ve been able to get “out and about” a bit more, and have been able to pop in and visit some of my favorite people.

McSwain is one of my first finds and favorite reads. There are some people on my blog roll that I love because I can relate to them, or we are going through similar life experiences – or maybe it’s that we’ve got common interests. And then there are some that it’s a little of all of the above and then some. But most of all, McSwain has a perspective on life and just says things in such a way that after I read almost all of her posts I find myself saying “I just love her.”

So I’m going to use the meme she posted on her blog yesterday. She didn’t tag anyone but did throw the invitation out there, so I’m graciously accepting it.

Four things you should know about me before inviting me to your house:

1. If you’re inviting me for dinner – I make a terrible guest in the respect of I don’t like to sit there and have you do all the work. There are a very few people that I will go to their homes and not jump right on in (although I do always ask if I can help anyway…) because they’re as much of a control freak about their kitchen as I am! But I just can’t sit there and be waited on by a friend. I truly enjoy helping in the kitchen and cleaning up afterwards. I’ve been known to not only help there but take over the cleanup duty -- including the pots and pans. If you insist that I don’t help than I won’t overstep, but I truly don’t feel comfortable not lending a hand.

2. I never arrive empty handed. If you’ve invited me over, I always bring something! Even if it’s just a cup of coffee….

3. I will admire your decorating. I love love love the way people put things in their home. Even something as simple as a tablecloth will catch my attention. I’m a “see-touch-feel” kinda girl, and if I like something that you’ve done I’m not shy about complimenting you on it and admiring it.

4. I’ll almost always take off my shoes. There are some exceptions to this rule, but generally speaking – I like when people take their shoes off when coming into mine, and so in return I immediately take off my shoes when I go into someone else’s. Don’t worry, I wouldn’t go with bare feet – I’ll have nice clean socks on. Not that my feet aren’t clean! But I also hate being barefoot, so…therein lies the problem.


So tell me --- what are four things I should know about you before coming to my house?

2 comments:

~**Dawn**~ said...

1. I am a quiet guest, at least initially. You should know that that doesn't mean I'm not enjoying myself or that something is wrong. I am just quiet. Until a glass of wine. And then I am slightly less quiet. I warm up more quickly in smaller groups.

2. I mean no disrespect by picking out mushrooms but I have tried them and I just do not care for them. I will try almost anything else though. I am not a picky eater.

3. I hate when I am asked what I liked best. It puts me on the spot when I don't always have an answer. Sometimes I need to think about it before I know, but usually I just don't have a favorite--for anything. (Except baseball.)

4. Please don't insist that I take huge portions or that I have second helpings on something. I don't eat like a bird, but I don't like to overdo either. I want to leave the table feeling satisfied & content, having fully enjoyed the meal, not stuffed to the point of discomfort.

Nichole M said...

1. I drink. A lot. Of everything. Water. Soda. Wine. But I won't overdo it on the latter. Promise.

2. Number 1 means that I will be going... well... number 1 a lot. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong. I just like to keep my kidneys happy.

3. I get sleepy early. What can I say? I'm a morning person. If we're not done by 10:30 or so, you may catch me napping. Nothing personal.

4. I might tell gross stories about surgeries and trauma. At which point I may start talking like a sailor. Neither is meant to shock, though. I'm just talking about what I know. But I don't want anyone to lose their dinner, so stop me if I start and you don't want to (or can't) hear it.