Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Hey, can I get some Sake with that Sake?

I am completely addicted to sushi.

I obsess over it sometimes. If I have it in my head that I'm in the mood, then nothing will make me get over it, unless I have some.


I’m always looking for new and different places to get really great sushi – and I find myself surprised at places that I thought were supposed to be fantastic – but really are just okay.

So, I thought I’d share a list of my favorite tried and true places.
(These are not listed in any particular order – just by how they come to mind. )


1. All Seasons Table Restaurant, Malden: The owner of this restaurant also owns Sato in Stoneham, but this location is outstanding. All of their food is fantastic, and the sushi -- was incredible. I can't say enough about everything that this restaurant serves.

2. Ginger, Bedford: Ginger is very quaint and great for eat in. Their luncheon specials are nicely priced and the sushi is always very good tasting. They have the best Spicy Tuna rolls that I have yet to find. The staff isn't always very friendly, but who cares - I'm not there to see them anyway. It's a fun quick lunch.

3. Asiana Bistro, Bedford: With Ginger on vacation from the end of July - Labor Day, my friend Michelle and I have been "jonesing" for sushi lunch. We got takeout from Asiana the other day and were pleasantly surprised; the pricing for take out lunches is fantastic -- their combinations are great and have ample food -- they don't skimp. The downside is that their Spicy Tuna doesn't live up to Ginger's, but they have amazing spicy mayo which in my opinion makes up for that. Oh, and their flying fish roe which is a fun accent to any sushi -- was too fishy.

4. China Cuisine, North Reading: Okay, this place doesn't look like much on the outside but it's quite nice inside. Their chinese food was always very good so when they added a sushi bar - imagine this girl's excitement! And the sushi is very, very, very good. Reasonably priced (though no dinners...) but I have to say that their Hamachi rolls are the best I've had -- and truthfully their Sake (salmon) nigiri has been the most buttery salmon I've tasted anywhere. They have a wonderful sushi chef, that is for sure. They're happy to customize something as well. Oh - and now here, they're flying fish roe is not fishy - it's rather sweet and compliments any roll wonderfully.

5. Sushi Island, Wakefield: Probably the priciest of the bunch, but it's very good. It's difficult to order takeout there because they don't speak English on the phone well - but in person, it's a fantastic place to dine in.

6. Blue Fin, Middleton: I think pricewise this is tied with Sushi Island; they have the most creative combinations of sushi I've ever had -- and they are unbelievably delicious. Their sweet crab is to die for. I don't mean "crab stick" which we all know is imitation -- I mean the real deal crab. Unbelievable. They even have a sirloin sushi that is amazing. Even better, are their kids meals! Well priced, good portions and the food is super fresh tasting. My kids always ask to go their. They get fresh fruit with their meal, and a little taste of sushi. (I've got really cool kids when it comes to eating. They're up for anything!)

So this is in a nutshell probably my favorite go-to places for sushi.
Recommendations? Anyone....?

5 comments:

Suldog said...

I love me some sushi! There's a decent place here in Watertown called Sushiyama, but I can't recall the exact location. We've gotten take-away from there a few times and always really good.

Rebecca said...

Sushiyama.... I'll have to check it out! Thanks!

I've gone to Natick for a Japanese Buffett that hs the most amazing japanese food. Their sushi is so-so, but decent given that they offer nigiri and interesting style rolls.

Suldog said...

Sushiya is actually the name. Sorry, made a mistake in my remembering.

Susan said...

You and I have got to go to Koyota in Stoneham one of these days. I LOVE IT.

Nichole M said...

I *wish* I could remember the name of the place, but it's in Chestnut Hill near the mall. It's off on a little side street and it's a little tiny place. They have a BYOB policy b/c they never got their liquor license. But their sushi is worth the hassle and the wait for a table. The sushi chef used to work in NYC and got fed up and moved to MA.

Have you ever had uni (sea urchin)? It sound gross, but it has a texture and a taste that is amazing!