Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Latest to arrive onto my list of "favorite foods"....

Okay, I have to preface this by saying that I'm not traditionally a soup kind of girl.  I'm more of a stew, or chowder person -- preferring something hearty and substantial in my bowl, rather than broth and a few paltry vegetables and pieces of chicken.  Not to say that I don't love my mother's home made chicken soup - because I do; but it's just not something I like to eat unless I'm sick.  But chili, beef stew, corn chowder, clam chowder -- now those are meals.


Recently, I tried a soup that I'd heard is not only amazingly good for you -- but that it was delicious as well.  Again, me thinking that soups are not my "cup of tea" - I often turned my nose up at the kiosk at Whole Foods when browsing for something to warm me up on a chilly day.  Then one day I said to myself, "…let's give this one a try".  I did - and ever since, I've been absolutely addicted to it. 


Say hello to my new best friend, Lentil Soup. http://search.foodnetwork.com/food/recipe/lentil+soup/search.do?searchString=lentil+soup&site=food&searchType=Recipe. (Um, yes I devoured a whole 14 oz. of it for lunch and then washed it down with some fresh pineapple. Yum.)  Lentil soup can be plain, as she was today….she can be beefed up, by adding a little sausage and tomatoes; or she can pretend to be beefed up (otherwise known as tomboy style) by adding spices such as cumin, and cilantro to make it taste more like a chili.  Especially if you puree portions of it to give a thicker consistency. Seriously -- to die for.

A bowl of lentil soup and some really good roasted asparagus with a hint of EVOO, lemon and garlic - how's that for a delicious and healthy dinner?
Okay, so it's not a thick porterhouse and mashed potatoes but seriously -- as Campbells would say -- "Mmmm good".

No comments: