Saturday, April 19, 2008

Childhood memories, food style....

I made the kids lunch a little while ago - and I made them something that is so simple, so very 1970's - and something that immediately made me think of my own Saturday afternoons growing up. It made me happy to make it for them (though it's relatively politically incorrect to eat these days, it's still a classic favorite of mine), and even better - they were happy to eat it. So, while I try to keep my Saturday posts related to surveys, I found one that fit perfectly.

"Top 5 Favorite Food of your Childhood Memories".
(Keep in mind, these foods aren't necessarily my favorite foods, but they are tied to some of my favorite times in my childhood. Make sense?)

1. Today, I made my kids one of the simplest sandwiches ever. Egg Salad, with potato chips and a pickle. As I was peeling the eggs, I was standing by the sink with the window open and the smell of the eggs along with the fresh air brought me right back to being young and my my mother making me one of those sandwiches for lunch. It was something she made almost exclusively only in Summer, (at least that's how my mind remembers it!) and so to feel the breeze and smell the mingling air with the fresh eggs - it just made me warm and fuzzy.

2. I love, love, love tuna fish sandwiches from my childhood. My dad and my mom both made them, but both incredibly differently. My mom made it the "classic way", light mayo - maybe a little relish or pickles mixed in. My dad, made it almost like a dip. Truthfully, if I told you what was in it - you wouldn't eat it, but the funny thing about it is that I serve it now today myself and if I don't tell anyone what it is - they don't have a clue. I serve it at parties with chips. Sorry, can't reveal the secret recipe..!

3. Chocolate pudding pie is another instant "happy childhood" memory trigger. Who am I kidding - even plain chocolate pudding does it for me. Funny thing is, though I love instant - I still have a vague memory of being with my mother and we were making the pudding on top of the stove, and I just couldn't wait for it to cool. I still even remember the smell of it cooking...Anyway, whether it's in a cup - or layered in a graham cracker crust with whipped cream, that is a very shiny happy memory of being small.

4. Comfort food in general works for me. It's funny, my mom and my dad both cook well - but both very different styles. My dad always made "fancy" foods - which I think I picked up from him. The ability to make something edible out of practically nothing is a gift. My mom made "classic" type dishes that were fantastic -- her home made macaroni and cheese was awesome. Coffee rolls, Beef Stew, and Spaghetti Sauce and Pot Roast were my favorites. As a matter of fact, with regards to Beef Stew and Pot Roast, I still use the same recipes - because truthfully, it's just not as good any other way.

5. Green Slime Pie, aka a variation of Key Lime - is something I've blogged about before. It was my Auntie Saralee's recipe, and a family favorite that we all looked forward to on Thanksgiving. She passed away over 20 years ago now, and I never had it again - most of us hadn't. But last Thanksgiving, my cousin David (her son) made it from her original recipe and brought it over for dessert. It tasted exactly like I remembered it, and the best thing about it was that it brought me back to a time when our family was all together.

Food and music definitely equate to happiness for this girl.
What foods trigger your memories of childhood?

1 comment:

~**Dawn**~ said...

Mmmm. I still love egg salad sandwiches & tuna sandwiches from time to time. Politically correct food choice or not, sometimes you need to feed the soul as well as the stomach.

I actually have similar post in draft for my blog, so I am not going to answer your question here, but my post will be up some time during the week. =)