Monday, April 07, 2008

America runs on it? Think again....

That's it. I'm done.
I'm officially boycotting Dunkin Donuts.


After having my third cup of coffee in the last 24 hours taste like soap -- and this being my 5th cup like that in the past couple of weeks -- seriously, I'm all set.


Here's the thing -- how tough is it to make a cup of coffee? What happened to the days when you could go to Dunkin Donuts and just order a Hazelnut coffee? And it always tasted good…you knew what you were getting and what to expect each time. Now, they use flavor shots which are terrible; the coffee is either burned, bitter, tastes like acid or soap -- and it never, ever comes out the same way twice. Take the long lines, and the often rude employees out of the equation - and focus strictly on product line -- Dunkin Donuts seriously better take a step back and evaluate their customer's reactions and feedback. Don't give me a gift card for more bad coffee if I complain. Change the flipping issue!!!


So for the management at Dunkin Donuts, my words are for you. Go back to your original coffee line. Forget trying to compete with Starbucks - you never needed to do that in the first place! Your cup of coffee was far better than Starbucks previously. Not today. I'd rather go through a McDonald's drive through to get a good cup of Hazelnut coffee than to have to wait in long lines, to order my jacked up Hazelnut/Coconut blend in an effort to make the coffee taste something that even sort of resembles a Hazelnut flavored coffee. And for the record, I've never had my coffee taste like soap at any other place that sells coffee either! (Hmm. I wonder if Rachel Ray's gotten a cup of coffee like I've gotten since she signed up as sponsor. Seriously, my coffee is never "yummo", or "quilicious" or whatever stupid words she makes up to describe the experience of drinking a Dunkin's coffee…)


Guess what Dunkin Donuts? You lost this girl to the Keurig coffeemaker on weekends -- and to Starbucks during the week. If I ever, get another Dunkin Donuts coffee again -- I assure you it will either be out of sheer desperation, and the lack of being able to get anything else. I've spent more than enough money on coffee that's been dumped out.

And I'm all done.

9 comments:

Susan said...

This is why I LOVE LOVE LOVE my keurig!

Suldog said...

The problem is that they're trying to do too many things at once. Make donuts and coffee. That's what you were good at. Sandwiches, bagels, hash browns, whatever the hell else? Drop it.

~**Dawn**~ said...

I don't drink coffee (caffeine is not my friend) but living down here in the land of Krispy Kreme, all I can say is that I miss my Dunkin Donuts.

Anonymous said...

Believe it or not, one day on a whim I decided to get a cup of coffee at McDonalds and I have to tell you that for the longest time now, I've enjoyed it much much better than Dunkin Donuts! Maybe you should give it a try. It might just surprise you!

Rebecca said...

I did! I had one this weekend, and at lunch - I went to Whole Foods for my fruit, and McDonalds for my coffee.

It was well worth it. It was a very delicious cup of hazelnut coffee. :)

Keith said...

Couldnt agree more....I go to DD out of pure habit..there are three within a mile of my house and the coffee ive been getting is just plain week or as you said, never is the same week to week....I may try McDOnalds for a change of pace..Even Honeydew is much much better...

Rebecca said...

Hi Keith,
You're so right - Honey Dew has awesome coffee as well.

They always have delicious flavors too - and they're not syrup based.

Lloyd L. Corricelli said...

As was said previously, Dunkies needs to concentrate on what they do best, coffee and donuts...okay, maybe muffins too. I was in there last week and they now have flatbread sandwiches and massages in the back. Focus people, focus!

I too have had a few too many bad cups of Joe from there and I hate those damn flavor shots especially when they mix up blueberry with hazelnut...and I hate blueberry flavoring!

7-11 surprisingly has good coffee too and they actually brew hazelnut.

Lys said...

DD has been going downhill - at least the one by me. However, for the past two weeks, the iced coffee has been stellar - much like I remembered from way back when. New owner who wants to not serve stale food and good coffee.

I'm sure that will change when his profit margin isn't hitting where it should be but for now, eeh.

I'm still a fan of the 'Bucks tho.