Monday, April 28, 2008

Monday, Monday...can't trust that day!

Today's title could also be "People are strange..."

Today was interesting to say the least. And, expensive....
First off, last night I made the discovery that my tire was beyond flat, beyond repair - and in need of a replacement. And my front brakes that out of the blue started to grind a tad during the week, became unbearable over the weekend. Makes me shudder to think that I drove the kids around in that condition. Note to automobile makers: You have lights that go off for everything under the sun in your vehicles. Please, please, please -create a light that goes on when your brake fluid is low, or your pads are in need of replacement. Seriously, could not feel it until they were grinding. WTF! So, $586.00 later I have new brake pads, rotors, and a new tire.

Spent a portion of the day at one of Boston's finest hospitals - Mass General. G pulled his back and was in need of some medical attention. I was lucky enough to sit next to one of Boston's most colorful characters -- a self proclaimed drug addict named Michael. I assure you, I didn't want to sit next to the poor soul. But it was a busy afternoon in the waiting room. Michael yelled, dozed off, snored...woke up and yelled, dozed off, snored. I was seriously feeling dirty just sitting next to him, as if some of his craziness was going to rub off onto me. He clearly just needed a place to sleep and it seems as if MGH Walk In Care is the place he chooses to lay his head. The staff seemed to know him well - and he certainly didn't take a number to be seen!

Then to top it all off, I hardly ever take time off for "emergency" types of things. I generally am in work every day unless I'm very sick, and even then, I dont' stay out when I should. So, I'm out today, clearly unexpectedly - and I get this rather reproachful email from my new company stating I need to either use vacation or make up the hours before the end of the week. Seriously? What am I -- five? I've been working there for 16 years my friends - this company is the new kid on the block, not me. I think I know what I have to do. I read the email and was like "Are you for real?!?". Seriously, step off. I STILL don't haven my medical cards, and I've been employed since March 17th with them -- never mind the fact that I got ripped on benefits.This girl is THIS close to walking away from it all....

Not my usual sunny self today... eh, must be the rain

7 comments:

~**Dawn**~ said...

There could be a post over on my blog with some visuals that might make you feel a little better. ;-)

Thomas said...

Hi there,

Just to let you know there are car manufactures and models that provide feedback on the dashboard when your break pads wear down and/or brake fluid is low. Funny thing is my first car (a used 1978 Toyota Celica) had this feature and I know my 2006 Nissan Frontier NISMO 4x4 has the same. Maybe it has to do with both being engineered by the Japanese *shrugs*

Either way, sorry to hear about your crappy day. I hope "G's" back is better and the week gets better for you as it progresses.

Oh yeah (not to rub it in), but I have tickets to the Sox game against KC next month at Fenway.. Whooohooo!!

Anonymous said...

Hang in there buddy. It could be worse.

You could be the owner of the Giants, still stuck playing Barry Zito's contract.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Rebecca said...

Dawn - will have to check it out tonight! ;)

Thomas - hmmm. Mine is Japanese? It's a Lexus? And you lucky son of a gun!!! ;) Awesome!

Tommy - OMG, laughed so hard when I read that. Isn't that the truth!

Thomas said...

I got this off the Lexus website:

"What are some common reasons why the "BRAKE" indicator light is illuminated?

If the brake fluid is slightly lower than allowed (light is on), that is usually an indicator that the brake pads are worn and need service soon. The worst case scenario is that the brake system is leaking fluid, which could lead to a hydraulic failure resulting in no braking power."

It looks like this is for all Lexus models, so I'm not sure why your indicator didn't light up. *shrugs*

Rebecca said...

Thomas - LOL, definitely no BRAKE light came on! Funny, huh?

Thomas said...

Those crazy Lexus'... hehe