Friday, February 09, 2007

Spike: The Workout Kitty

Ive had cats my whole life. Love, love, love having them.
Cats are funny creatures. They’re either very standoffish and moody, usually picking one “person” to be their “favorite” despite how many people might live in a house (usually females!), or they’re really affectionate and just want to be around everyone all the time (males).

I prefer male cats for this very reason. So when we got a kitten, I was thrilled he was a male – but not thrilled he was only 10 weeks old. I was certain he’d be traumatized and hide being in a new house with kids and a dog. Not always a great mix for a tiny kitten. Spike was the exception to this rule. From the minute he came in the door – he owned the house, and everyone in it. I’ve never seen a cat want to be under foot so much as him. It’s really funny. Not quite so funny when he’s meowing at 3:30 in the morning because he wants to play....but we’re working on that!

He’s so funny....every night at 7pm, I go downstairs and run and do whatever other type of workout I’m in the mood for. He’s right there with me. He lays on the steps and watches me run, and then as soon as I’m done and I lay on the bench to do crunches, or ab work – guess who’s on my stomach? Spike. When I do pushups – he lays underneath me and plays with the strings on my pants. If I’m lifting with dumbbells – he’s on the bench brushing up against them. He totally cracks me up!

He is my work out partner. Too bad he can’t come to Yoga on Monday nights!

It just won’t be the same without him....

4 comments:

Suldog said...

Cute fella - where'd you get him?

Peter N said...

But..but.....he's still with you!!!

How nice is that! Take care Rebecca...I'm in a total aways missing you state of mind....stay well.! Peter

Mellissa said...

Bec -

Please tell me you are only going to miss him at Yoga...and that nothing happened to him!!

I hope all is well in your neck of the woods...

xoxo,
Bug

Rebecca said...

Hey SulDog: A woman who works at a pet store, was privately selling her own personal litter. We tried through our local shelter, but there was on outbreak of kitty distemper and two cats had died, so they were on quarantine. We happened to find this woman as we were in just buying supplies for the other pets in the house!

Peter - thanks for stopping by!

Mel - hahaha, no - he's fine. He just can't come to yoga with me! :) Too bad though, I'll really miss his company when I'm working out. He keeps me motivated! hahaha...