Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Strong Mind, Strong Heart, Strong Body....

Last night was my first night of yoga. I went in, not really knowing what to expect. My girlfriend Nancy came with me; she’s taken yoga before, so she had a decent idea of how what type of exercises we’d be doing. I was a little intimidated, because I wasn’t sure if it was going to be like when you go into a gym where everyone is very “clique-ey” and you can practically hear the “meows” of the cats from your first walk into the door. It wasn’t like that at all....it was a smaller than usual class – there was only four of us. But I sort of got the feeling that it wouldn’t be that way even if there 15 people in the room. The yoga instructor was very friendly and encouraging which made it that much easier to relax and feel good about this first attempt.

Like it? That’s an understatement. I loved it. Love, love, loved it. We took an intermediate class as opposed to a beginner’s class – and I’m really glad we did. I’m the kind of person that would rather try a more challenging class and see where I need to improve than start at the beginning and work my way up. It’s that whole “sink or swim” mindset I’ve got. I was amazed at how much of a workout I got, and yet how relaxed I was at the same time. I’m a pretty flexible person, so it felt wonderful doing things like backbends – which I haven’t done in years. I was amazed at how some of the simplest moves, stances and stretches are isolating muscles and working your body in ways you didn’t know was possible.

I was so relaxed after the class, I almost felt like jelly. But yet I felt so strong. It almost reminded me of getting a really deep tissue sports massage – the kind that you’re sore afterwards from because your muscles are being worked on. I think it’s the perfect enhancement to my present exercise routine, and just the psychological aspect of being focused yet relaxed is something I really, really need. It’s like exercise and therapy all rolled into one!

1 comment:

Martie said...

Wish I could find a class near me and someone to go with me....maybe when the snow all melts!!! Glad you enjoyed yourself.