Tuesday, February 06, 2007

"...He's Her Lobster!"

I miss “Friends”.
It was by far one of my favorite television shows when it was on. And while I have the first 7 seasons on DVD, it’s still not the same as catching your favorite episode by chance on television as your flipping through the channels.

Last night, I saw “The One Where Ross Finds Out”, which is of course – the episode where Ross and Rachel finally admit their feelings for one another, and finally kiss. Sigh.............


There are so many ensemble shows that are out there, but there was really something magical about “Friends”. I think it was because they could’ve been anyone. We either related and identified with one of them personally – or at a minimum, knew someone who could’ve easily been one of those characters. And they were so natural – it really just felt like we were peeking into their quirky daily lives.

The later episodes, especially the last season weren’t quite as good as the earlier ones. To me, the characters became caricatures of themselves. Especially Monica – who I used to relate to so well (Type A control freak!) became really just “out there”. She went from being grounded, softer spoken and usually a voice of reason – to being very loud and crazy. I found myself relating to Rachel more so towards the end. She just seemed more normal in comparison.

But that’s usually how you know that it’s time to say good bye to a show. When there are struggles to make the storylines interesting, or realistic. As in life, I suppose we all have to say good bye to our “twenty something” mindset at some point and grow up and join the rest of the world. And I guess that’s what happened to my “Friends” show too.


Which Friend Are You Quiz on tbs.com


For 60,00 % you are: You are like Monica! You're just the plain, average person who does plain, average things. But you probably are a good friend. 44.88 % of 5454 Quiz participants had this profile!

You could also get this result:
For 60,00 % you are: You are Phoebe! You're sunny, easy-going and funky. You are your own person with your own creative style.

Or even this one:
For 20,00 % you are: You are Ross. You are probably a geek, a nerd or a brain. It's not such a bad thing though! You know lots of stuff and should get a good job.

Or even this one:
For 10,00 % you are: You are Rachael! You are fashionable, hip and outgoing. You may like shopping, parties and happy music. (You may also be a bimbo)



7 comments:

Martie said...

I loved this show too. We still can watch some of the episodes while flipping through channels though. The other night one of the channels was doing a "Friends Marathon" hours and hours of the show to please almost every viewer!

But you're right when you say we all have to move on.....including those on 'Friends'! Hugs

Anonymous said...

That was a great episode. I still go back and watch that second season on the DVD quite a bit.

Anonymous said...

I'm monica too. It kills me.

Lloyd L. Corricelli said...

I was Chandler based on the quiz.

Jacquie said...

I didn't take the quiz but I think I would say I'm Monica and my sis was Rachel.

I always wondered what "Friends" had that so many other shows just don't. I like your thoughts on it.

clew said...

I'm Chandler too!

You are most like: CHANDLER

How sure are we? BARELY

Like Chandler, you consider yourself the only "normal" member of your social group. And considering how strange your parents were, that's quite an achievement. Always keeping a sense of humor, your intelligence shows in your quick retorts and use of sarcasm. Despite your hard shell, however, you have surprising depths of emotion and sympathy, proving to be an excellent friend.

Yup, that's me.

CHICKEN AND DUCK FOREVER!

chesneygirl said...

My all time FAVORITE show EVER!!!
It is so fun watching the reruns!

I want the DVD's and I've asked for them for Christmas and my birthday every year for the last 2 or 3 years and I still don't own a single one. ::pout::
I guess one of these day's I'm gonna have to breakdown and buy them myself!.