Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Never a dull moment....

Working on a military base – we’re always doing drills and preparations for either real world events – or inspections by Air Force inspection agencies. We usually know about these well in advance and we know that if there’s really bad weather, chances are they won’t force us to go through an evacuation. So most of us non-military types watch the weather report and really hope that it’s either biting cold or rainy/snowy during the winter time drills. Summer time – well, that’s a different story. We love being evacuated in the summer!

However – when there’s a real time emergency, the weather has no bearing on the situation. And today – we had a real situation. One of the lights in my group’s front office had a ballast blow, which can trigger a fire. And it seems it was smoldering....so the fire department was called and we were all evacuated.

Good thing I wore my jacket today, huh?Sounds like a silly statement, since we’ve been in the single digits and teens for the past few days; but I park so close to my office building – and I hate wearing a jacket while I’m driving – so I often don’t wear one at all. I’m far more sensitive to cold air indoors than I am outdoors. I mean, if I was to be out for a prolonged period of time, sure I’d be freezing. But to walk from my car to the building? C’mon – I’m a New Englander!

So while I’m always in work with my cube heater on and blanket on the back of my chair, available for wrapping up in at any given time – I’m often seen walking to and from my car or going to get coffee with no coat on – even in the dead of winter.


Weird, I know. But this is who I am......!

3 comments:

Greens and Pinks said...

Ha! Ditto on the no coat thing. I hate, hate, hate wearing a coat while driving, so I just throw it on the seat next to me in case I need it. I'm cranking the heat in my house, but walking from the car to the grocery store in a thin sweater.

Yeah, we're New Englanders allright.

Anonymous said...

Heh, true. I saw someone walking 5 minutes across the parking lot at lunch today with NO COAT ON!

Suldog said...

I'm the same, right down to the space heater in my office. And I go outside to smoke, too.