Monday, February 19, 2007

Toe Pick!

Yesterday, we took the kids ice skating to Frog's Pond at Boston Common. I'd have loved to have had photographs to share, but it's really next to impossible to take photos as you're taking kids around the ice. I'm the queen of multi-tasking, but even I have some limitations!

It was the first time that either of the kids have ice skated before. Amazing the differences between first born and second born = Fear, vs. No Fear. My son, is a thinker. He's not impulsive, and he is cautious in his approach to things. His big concern was falling and getting hurt. So it took a bit of time to get him to feel comfortable holding onto my hands while I pulled him around the ice. But he wasn't afraid necessarily, he just was uncertain. My daughter on the other hand is a bit more free spirited, and from the minute I had her on the ice - we did laps together. She just held on and let me take her whereever. If she slipped, she laughed. Where as my son laughed, but was concerned that he wasn't doing it "right". I just kept telling him, that the worst that would happen is that he would fall and that it's okay - everyone falls. That's the only way to learn.

It was my first time ever skating on the Frog Pond in the Common as well. It was so much fun! I can't believe I've lived in right outside of Boston my whole life and yet I've never gone skating there. I always went to indoor rinks, or as I've mentioned before, did pond/lake skating where I lived. I love ice skating....and I haven't done it in years.

It felt good to be on the ice again...and the kids loved it as well. My son asked if we can go again next weekend, so I'm thinking - maybe it's time to get him his own pair of hockey skates so he doesn't have to learn on the rental ones. Maybe even some for my daughter too....

3 comments:

tkkerouac said...

I still like that hat
looks good on you
Jerry Hallish

chesneygirl said...

How fun!!!

I'm 31 years old and I have NEVER been ice skating!!

martie said...

This was one of my all time favorite things to do in the winter when I was a kid! I even went iceskating last winter....and only fell once! Not bad for an old broad, eh?