Monday, September 25, 2006

"You have to believe we are magic..... "

When I tucked my son into bed last night, he asked me if I believe in magic.
I told him that yes, I do. He said, "I don't. I mean, if I see a magician make someone disappear, in front of me and not on television - than maybe I'll believe it's real. But I don't know that it's real because it's only on television."
I sometimes find it hard to believe that he's only five.

I told him that of course magic is real -- just like love is real....and you have to believe in magic, just like you have to believe in love - because love is magical. He sort of just looked at me.

So I said to him, "Well, you know Santa Claus right?". And he said "Of course! I love Santa Claus!". I said, "Well, don't you think Santa is magical? The way he flies through the skies with his reindeer, and brings all the children of the world gifts, wouldn't you say that's sort of like magic?"

He looks at me and says "Mom, Santa's my friend... he's not magical. Friends aren't magic, they're real." with that "jeesh Mom, don't you know better than that?" sort of tone.

Well, he is only five.....He's got his whole life to learn about magic. And while I know he's talking about the sleight of hand type of magic, which we all know isn't real -- I still want him to have that innocence of thinking "is it real?" and being excited by the possibility that it might be.

I think when we're young, innocence allows us to see magic in everything; and then as we get older, we lose sight of it.
The feeling of seeing a Christmas tree illuminate for the first time of a season; seeing a deer quietly cross your path in a wooded area; seeing a child smile when they're tasting something new for the first time; making someone laugh so hard that they can't stop laughing....these are all moments that are still so very magical for me.

Maybe magic is truly only held in the eyes of beholder who has the hope of wanting to find it.

2 comments:

Martie said...

I believe in the magic of love, the magic of Christmas, the magic of children and the magic of life! As he ages, he will find more magic than he could ever imagine!!

Michelle said...

Those "grown up" conversations with your little ones are priceless aren't they? I just love following their logic and asking them the right questions to make them wonder even deeper.

You're kids are lucky.