Thursday, September 28, 2006

Philosophy is the talk on a cereal box...

Or in this case, on a roll of paper towels.

As I was cleaning my kitchen last night in my never ending Windex fixation - I needed to replace the roll of paper towels. As I was putting the roll on, I noticed that not only were they pretty - but they had nice sayings on them as well. "Live, love, laugh"... "Cherish and rejoice"...those are some of the ones that stick out in my mind this morning. I read them as I was cleaning and you know what.....it made me feel good. A silly paper towel made me smile.

I think it's interesting how we're mass marketed to such an extreme, that something so day-to-day functional as even paper towels are being driven towards certain personality types. Because obviously, I will choose a pretty pattern, chock full of inspiration to adorn my paper towel holder and clean my house over a plain old white paper towel. Why is this, I wonder? Have paper towels become an item of decor as opposed to an item of functionality? Why is it so important to me that my paper towels not only clean well, but they look good?

And clearly this is something that the powers that be at all the paper towel factories in the world have been working on. While I don't have the answer to this burning question, I'm now on a mission to find the following patterns in my constant effort to feel good, keep my house sparkling clean - and looking beautiful at the same time.

My rationale for these styles:












1. I'm all about the coffee
2. The Tuscan countryside I hope to visit someday....

and finally

3. Does this one really need explanation????

4 comments:

clew said...

Ha ha ... I laugh because I'm the same way. Part of me is my mother - what's the difference? They all clean the same and go right in the trash. Another part of me is my grandmother - oh, aren't those pretty?

The grandmother part of me is winning out as I get older. Grandma always said Mom had ice water in her veins.

chesneygirl said...

HA! I am the same way sorta...my papertowels have to match my kitchen (bright white with lots of sunflower decor) and I'm psycho about it too...I will dig and dig thru papertowels at the grocery store to find something that "matches" to my standards and get very irritated when I can't find something and have to buy plain white.

Scott used to print ones with sunflowers on them and I would pick up two rolls every single time I was at the store so that if they ever stopped printing them I'd have an abundance until I could find new ones. Well...they stopped and my supply just ran out a couple months ago and I have yet to find something new I like. But for now the cute Fall patterned ones with pumpkins and fall leaves will suffice until Christmas patterns come out. But come January....I'll be on the hunt again. Hahahaha!

I know...I'm a weirdo - my mother and husband remind me daily.

bigwhitehat said...

The last thing I needed was EB stuck in my brain. Thanks alot Rebecca.

Martie said...

LOL...I always have to dig through the stacks at the store to find just the right 'print' too!!