Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Things that make me go "hmm.....?"

I have so many different things on my mind, and so I figured I'd sort of just put them out there in no particular order. So much to say, and yet so little to say at the same time. As if that makes any sense!

1. Steve Irwin, The Crocodile Hunter. How ironic is it that a person who made his career out of wrangling and interacting with some of the most deadliest and unpredictable of creatures, has his life ended so abruptly by one thought to be one of nature's most gentle? I also wonder how this is going to affect one of Grand Caymen Island's most sought after tourist attractions...

2. This time of year just inspires me to be creative in the kitchen. I love, love, love to cook. And few things inspire me more than cool weather! I'm back to watching Food TV when I get the chance - and while I still love my girl Rachel Ray - I've got to tell you, it's really difficult to try to cook like her. Her menus are simple, and they're all so quick - but you really have to plan in advance because she cooks rather out of the ordinary menus. It's hard to whip up her recipes with basic food shopping items. Call me crazy - but who keeps chipotle or red snapper in their house as a staple???

3. While I'm anxiously awaiting football....I still haven't given up on baseball. But does it make me less of a fan if I look at this realistically and come to grips with the fact that the Red Sox probably won't make the playoffs? Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, right?

4. I have got to get my butt back to working out. I watched a really cool show about Muay Thai girl boxers over the weekend. While I don't anticipate traveling to Thailand to win a title - I would love to get back into the swing of working out and kickboxing at a minimum. To find the time.....and the motivation! Say it with me...I know I can; I know I can!

5. I think I may have made a snap judgement about a co worker of mine. I don't like to do that, and normally I don't pass judgement about anyone but my perception may have been clouded by outside sources. Only time will tell ...but as of this afternoon - I think I may have. And for that, I'm truly sorry. And feeling a little bit guilty....

6. I need a hair cut so badly I can't stand it. But when to find the time?!?!? How wrong would it be for me to take a little time off during the work day for a teensie, weensie trim??

7. Today was my son's first day of kindergarten. It went wonderfully - he was perfectly thrilled to go - and ran onto the bus without even saying good bye to me! Which, was pretty funny. Many people asked me today if I was sad....and you know what - I wasn't. I left my son at the school where he was perfectly safe, happy and content. I wasn't sad that he didn't miss me - I was proud that he was in such a great state of mind and ready to take on this new chapter in his life.

I got some funny reactions from other Moms when I said I wasn't so much sad as I was happy for him. Is that so strange?

8. "God grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change,courage to change the things we can,and wisdom to know the difference." Why is this reserved only for alcoholics? I refer to this often - and I'm not an alcoholic by any stretch. Life throws us curveballs on a daily basis....this should be everyone's mantra I think. Not just those with demons.

There's many other things rattling around in my brain today...but I think this is more than enough to make you go "hmmm" for today!

4 comments:

Martie said...

I'm thinking 'how do you ever sleep at night with all these thoughts running through your mind?'

Hmmmmmm.......

chesneygirl said...

#2 I wish I could cook or even had the desire...

#4 Just got back into it tonight myself....after falling off the wagon about a month ago. It felt great!!

#6 Not wrong AT ALL!! Do it!

#7 Wow! First day of KINDERGARTEN and this wasn't the ENTIRE topic of your post today??? I definitely would be sad...not that he's in school but that he's not a 'baby' anymore. I surely am not looking forward to the day mine starts....3 years to go.

#8 I agree.

clew said...

Hi Rebecca!!!! *hugs*


1. I blogged about Steve too! (Monday though) ... His death was a very ironic bummer. I enjoyed him so much.

2. I love to cook in the fall. I'm actually glad the weather's cooling down - nothing like chili and football on a lazy weekend.

3. See above :). Baseball is bumming me out - the Reds stink.

4. OMG me too. I committed to starting up my turbo jam and tae bo again this week ... the week's not over yet ... ;) ...

5. Aww ... dont be too hard on yourself.

6. That's why I grew my bangs out - I can never find time to get a haircut. A simple haircut! I get one about once every two years. How lame is that? Needless to say, I feel your pain.

7. Sweet and wonderful. I don't think there's anything wrong with not being sad at all. :)

8. My mom had a needlepoint of this hanging in our kitchen the whole time we were growing up (hmm, maybe I should wonder about that - LOL) - I love it. There's a second verse too ... I'll dig in my brain and when I remember it I'll tell ya. Something about being reasonably happy in this life and divinely happy in the next.

Shayna said...

Your #8 is one of my favorite sayings. I have a copy on the fridge and in work as well. I had no idea until a few years ago, that it was created and used for AA. A Teacher of mine, when I was in the 7th grade and going through a difficult time, handed the writing to me and I've kept it with me all these years.
I never knoew you used this as well. You're correct when you say the "apple doesn't fall far from the tree", but with each passing day, I am more surprised at how so so close to the tree....the apple is:)