Monday, September 11, 2006

The Day the World Stopped...

I've written many posts regarding my feelings about this day and the events that took place 5 years ago.
They have yet to change.

I still feel a sense of disbelief and helplessness when watching the footage from that morning. It's probably one of the most vulnerable times I've had in my life, considering I was fortunate enough to not have been directly impacted - outside of merely being an American, and a human being.

I am proud to be an American, despite my government's choices at many times throughout our history. There is not one event, or involvement of affairs that a finger can pointed to as potentially a bad judgement call on action. Or inaction - as it has also been at times. It's the very core of our freedom being Americans that allows us to voice our opinons both positive and negative about our country, our state of affairs....our government.

Those who say that they are ashamed to be Americans today should really take a step back and revisit the events of September 11th. Where we are today is a direct result of that tragedy - and whether it is a popular decision or not - we rose to the challenge of being attacked. The "where's" and "why's" are irrelevant in my mind. Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan....Taliban, Al Queda, Hezbollah, Hamas...it's all the same. Send a message to one - send a message to all. I have such distaste and disdain for those who use the events of that day for political gain...and both parties are guilty of it. There have been opponents of every war, conflict and struggle that we have ever been in; that is human nature. We are not all going to agree on all issues, at all times. But if you can't recall, can't feel, can't acknowledge the heartbreak and loss our country felt five years ago today - then I strongly question your humanity.

This tragedy should be reflected upon as something to unite us as a nation - not divide us. To not do so, only tarnishes the value of the lives that were lost that day, those innocently - and heroically. And what about those who have selflessly given their lives since that day?


If we allow the aftermath to divide us, then in some ways - on some level - haven't the terrorists won?

8 comments:

eternity said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
chesneygirl said...

you're right...

I was just thinking about it this morning...and sometimes, in some ways, it seems like the terrorists did win.

I am proud to be an American too! :)

Michelle said...

I wish more people were as good as you dear Rebecca.

(ps. I sent you an email last week. Did you get it?)

Martie said...

It was a very sad day indeed....not only for those whose lovedd ones died, bur for each and every American who lost their feeling of safety and security!

I'm proud to be an American and have flown my countries flag every day proudly since before this happend!

Michelle said...

I resent. Let me know if you don't receive this time.

ramblin' girl said...

on some level they may have gotten to us, but they haven't won. very well said!

C... said...

I really think that no matter what our government does, good or bad - in many ways we are going to continue to be targets for other countries because we are a super power and they don't like that because in that super power position we influence other nations around us. For that reason we cannot be divided in this issue but I don't believe 9/11 is the reason we are at war. This just added fuel to the fire.

clew said...

I have been known to get really nasty with people over these very points you've made. People say they will never forget, but how can our country have become so divided, and so many so unsupportive - if they had not?

I am proud to be an American. Not only do I grieve the loss of the lives this day, but of the loss of our country's unified front. It all breaks my heart. Don't people realize that this weakens us? And it's just what they want?