Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Who says there needs to be thorns?

There's something therapeutic about flowers.

Whether it's a bouquet you purchase for yourself as a "pick me up"...or from a friend to let you know they're thinking of you....or maybe just a wildflower picked from the ground impulsively from a person you enjoy spending time with. The smile you feel inside is really special.

I went to get my afternoon coffee today, and for the second day in a row now - I noticed women walking around with single long stem roses. So, I walked into the flower shop located in the building and asked if there was a significance to everyone having flowers; was it to remember a holiday of some sort? The shop owner smiled, and said that I was welcome to have a flower as well - it is their grand "reopening" under new ownership and so to celebrate - they were giving women who came into the shop a free rose.

And a beautiful rose it is. Truly.

So, as I walked out of the shop with my coffee and my rose - I couldn't help but to smile as I smelled it.
It was just what I needed today.

It now sits on my desk in a vase where I can enjoy it as it opens...
Receiving flowers makes you feel special, no matter who the gift is from.
Even from a stranger as it happened to be this afternoon.

5 comments:

clew said...

Rose or not, you *are* special my friend :)

Susan said...

There's something about flowers! Enjoy it!

Martie said...

In my opinion, you deserve a hundred roses! Hugs...newly acquired kid!

ramblin' girl said...

flowers always make me smile! even stories about flowers... thanks!

chesneygirl said...

I can't even REMEMBER the last time I received flowers from anyone!!

After reading this, I think I outta go by MYSELF some...