Friday, September 10, 2010

Stand up to Cancer...

I just got through watching the "Stand up for Cancer" special on television. I didn't even know there was going to be a special like that on. It's so difficult to watch - at the same time, there are some success stories that are worth watching, and it gives you some hope.

There are so many amazing advances that are happening in the world of oncology; fortunately, I know many survivors! At the same time, I've also lost many.....

Yesterday was 4 months of my Mother's passing. The day itself wasn't difficult; what can be difficult at times is when someone asks how she's doing. Maybe a kind customer who remembers her at the store....or someone I haven't seen in a while. I'm used to it, but at the same time, it is sort of like a soft kick. You know what the hardest part is? Seeing photographs of her from prior to her diagnosis....she looked great. And then remembering her the last day I saw her, when she still looked good considering.....but......well, we all know how that went.

Anyway, I've always been a supporter of the Jimmy Fund and Dana Farber - long before my Mom was sick. I do all that I can to contribute to any organization that is about finding cures for the cancers that are infiltrating and killing us all.

I hope that you do the same....

Post Script: 10:10 pm, and I'm now watching Barbara Walters and a special on Progeria, with three little girls who are diagnosed with this aging disorder. Why I do this to myself, is beyond me - because let me tell you, it's gutwrenching.

There is nothing as heartbreaking, but yet inspiring - as the innocent and gallant bravery of children.

No comments: