Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Tuesday's Thoughts....

1. What is up with the annoying pop up ads that Boston.com and Bostonherald.com have whenever you want to click on an article? Truly, if I wanted to solicit the advertisements, I’d click on the ads. It’s pretty irritating when I’m trying to read an article and a full screen Comcast ad takes over the page. Just sayin’…

2. So, I’m probably the only member of Red Sox Nation who wasn’t overly enamored with Nomar while he was here. But I do have to admit, watching him last night and his reaction to the crowd was very touching. I didn’t dislike him per se, it was more of a dislike of his disenchantment with being here; his diva-like personality at times and of course – his being injury prone. Injuries, I suppose you can’t do anything about – but personality is absolutely a choice. Sure, some may say that some of that had to do with age and maturity. That may be the case; but I know this much – it was definitely nice to see him gracious and happy in his interviews. I wasn’t at all surprised at his reception, it was sort of sad to hear that he was nervous. Boston is fiercely loyal, and though while at the time we were very ready for change at his position, there is no doubt about the contributions he had made while he was here.

3. The Tall Ships arrived into port this morning. I am really excited about this, and I am hoping to take the kids there this weekend, weather permitting of course. (yes, that dreaded rain is overtaking the forecast once again…*sighs*) I think it will be awesome for them to see, and something they will remember for quite some time to come.

4. Today is the Michael Jackson memorial and funeral. (As if anyone with a pulse didn’t know, it’s monopolizing all things “news”.) I wish I could see it, but unfortunately here at work just about everything is blocked so there’s no way for me to watch it. I would’ve liked to have DVR’d it but it would’ve taken up too much space in the memory so clearly, I will have to just watch the reviews. I have mixed feelings about it being such a public event at the Staples Center, and I suppose it’s because I’m not sure if it’s going to be a concert – or a tribute, a celebration of his artistry? I think I would prefer a more traditional type of memorial. But I’m sentimental like that.

I’ve heard quite the anti-MJ sentiment today on the airwaves today and truly – I think there’s been enough that has been said about him. Let the poor man be in peace at this point. If you don’t like him – then don’t watch it, and don’t listen to his music. No one is saying anything new or shedding additional light on the situation, so truly – enough is enough. He was childlike and odd; and yes, he brought a lot of his troubles onto himself. He is ultimately responsible for the tarnish of his reputation. But I’m sorry, he was acquitted; and the last time I knew – that meant “not guilty by a trial of peers.” (loosely translated, of course.)

The same old argument that he paid money to keep one person from pressing charges, to me – is irrelevant. As a parent – the mere fact that the family accepted it -- screams deception, dishonesty and extortion. I assure you, there is no amount of millions that would keep me quiet if my child was harmed in any way. Out of the thousands of children he impacted and spent time with – only two, and two with questionable motives and intentions – come forward? And none since his passing either? Was he eccentric and insecure? Yes. Was he unhappy? Absolutely. Was he sad, and lonely and tragic? Without a doubt. But if you can’t also acknowledge that he was an incredibly gifted artist who absolutely changed the world as a whole, as well as the world of music – then you’re clearly too high on your horse.

1 comment:

Suldog said...

Nomar: I thought the best thing that happened in 2004, for the team, was jettisoning him. I always felt that he wasn't much of a "big game" player, and they needed (desperately) what they got in return for him.

Having said that, though, I always appreciated that he gave us what he had to give and he truly liked being here - until the very end. I was very glad to see him get the rousing applause he got, and I would have done the same for him had I been there.