Monday, July 13, 2009

Social Networking or Wasted space...?

I had a really great weekend. So good, that I really regretted waking up this morning to realize it had ended.

As I walked into my office on this "next to last day" of work, I was chatting with my fellow cubemates about their vacations and weekend, etc. One of my friends in the office mentioned that she knew I must've been busy because I hadn't been on FaceBook hardly at all over the last few weeks. (She had been on vacation last week, so she was wondering what I'd been up to.) This is partly true; but I also have sort of lost interest in FB over the past month or so. Partly because most of the people I wanted to reconnect with, I have and we get together and stay in touch pretty reguarly; but to quote G, it has rather "jumped the shark" for me. And, truthfully - it monopolized a lot of my time; time that I'd rather spend with my kids outdoors doing fun things - or just hanging out with them. No need for me to be on the laptop all the time. Actually, I plan on taking the advice of a friend of mine who purges his friend list regularly. It's nothing personal, but truly -- not everyone needs to be on the friend list. Those who I talk to regularly -- sure. Those I don't, well... we connected, we know we're happy and doing well in life -- is there really a need to know what I'm cooking for dinner or going to with my kids on a Saturday? We've spent 20 years without talking, it's okay to not know what "horoscope sign we should've been", etc... I've got a life to live, and I'll for being friendly, but not everyone has to know my every waking move -- you know what I mean?

So the question was posed from one of our co workers who's a bit older and while very technically savvy - probably a bit more inept socially; and was wondering the difference between Face Book vs. Twitter vs. Linked In. Social Networking versus Social Marketing. Is there a difference? Is it an overlap? Is there any value in it?

I told him that I look at it this way: Facebook, though I do have a page for my store -- is for me, almost exclusively personal. A great way to share pictures of my kids with my family, and connect with those I want to connect with. But the business page truly doesn't get a whole lot of activity because in all honesty - that isn't what Facebook is about.

Twitter, while I don't love it's interface -- is a relatively good business marketing tool. I use it for our existing business and for promoting our upcoming business and we've gotten really great followers -- people from Food Network even, which is pretty darn cool. Vineyards, Chefs and other food and wine afficionados follow so in that respect I like it. It's also great if you go out and about because most restaurants are now posting their daily specials via updates as well. Some of my favorites to follow are places such as Formaggio, Food Network chefs such as Tyler Florence & Giada DeLaurentiis -- as well as some local wine & food enthusiasts.

LinkedIn, while I suppose a decent employment outlet - is really technically challenged and outside of the messaging forums for interest groups, to me - is useless. I've used it for HR/employment purposes and basically for that type of networking; while I'll probably keep my account active, like FB - I think that it's a rolodex that at times can seem useless.

What are your thoughts on social engines and networking?
Love them? Hate them? Do you use them at all, and for what?

1 comment:

Susan said...

I think it depends on HOW you use it and what you use it for. I use Facebook and Twitter very differently than most do...which is good and bad.

I guess it depends, do you want to draw the line in the sand with Facebook? Maybe not, Facebook you can use it for customers - I see Old Navy and other brands use it to promote sales and special events and it works great for them. Maybe you should give it a whirl for the shop?