Thursday, May 21, 2009

Let's hear it for the boy....(retake)

(This is being reposted from April 10th. After last night's game particularly, I thought it was well worth sharing yet again. I'm adding to it a bit as well, but the crux of the matter hasn't changed.)

Okay, all of you out there who bashed the Captain during the offseason……
How do you like him now?

While I am a bit biased in my affections (superficially speaking of course -- I don't know him personally), I do believe that I can be objective in my assessment of #33’s performance – and I think that his at bats have been a tremendous improvement over last year’s efforts. I’m not talking merely about the end results – but his form, the swings, and his stances.

Is it too soon to tell for sure? Maybe. But is it an encouraging sign of things to come – absolutely.

Was he underpaid in this year’s negotiations, all said and done –yes, I think he was. He is all heart, soul, and most importantly – he is talent. There is more to a career than one season. There’s more to a player than one season – especially a player who’s proven valueable in a multitude of areas to a team, over a period of time.

(And I don't want to hear that the pitching last night was subpar. Don't take anything away from the win.)

So, for those of you who were so quick to say we should’ve cut him loose, not resigned him and that there was no way that he could ever come back from one lack luster season – don’t go jumping on the bandwagon now.

Because this girl isn’t making any room for you on there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

me thinks that the lass is a little jaded when it comes to all thinks Tek. facts are facts, he's in the bottom 25% of all AL catchers in almost every batting catagory. defensivly, he's no where near the top anymore, look what the Rays did him a few weeks ago. Bottom line, he's not over paid, he's slipped to average, and if Ortiz is Big Papi, then can we call Tek Capt Pop-up? LOL. Just joking. Please dont hate me. I would sign my name but im just too damn scared right now.