Saturday, May 30, 2009

Cultivate the garden within....

Today was gardening day (after soccer, of course) at this girl's house.
I took a different approach than usual, and actually planted some interesting things.

I still have some more to do -- today was phase one.

I planted my tomatoes, and peppers. Instead of traditional green bell or yellow as I typically do, I opted for sweet banana peppers. Rather than going with the typical eggplant, I planted the Snowy White variety. I traditionally never plant fruit -- but at my daughter's insistence, I sacrified the remainder of my postage stamp sized garden and planted watermelon for her. (I hope it grows because we tried canteloupe last season, to no avail.)

In my planters, I nestled both Vidalia & Bermuda onions. I had great success with the Vidalia variation last season so I couldn't wait to plant the purple onions as well.

I need to pick up some additional planters this week so I can get my herb boxes together: Rosemary, Basil, Garlic Chives and Cilantro. I also think I'm going to try something different and plant broccoli and kale. I saw some really hearty seedlings just calling my name....

Everything just tastes better when it's fresh, and it's that much more delicious when it's from your own backyard.

1 comment:

FlunkyBoy said...

I made the mistake this weekend of mentioning that a "big ol' raised planter would look awesome next to the house here!" Guess what I have to build now. Stupid brain. I have to work on that filter thing.