Thursday, May 28, 2009

A smile is the light in the window of your face that tells people you're at home.

I have been very fortunate.

Partly in due to being very cognizant of the fact that I have nice teeth and wanting to take care of them and keep my breath minty fresh at all times; and partly due to genetics. I have successfully made it to the thirty-something’s and officially have my first cavity. Or two, actually.

About 18 months ago or so, I thought I had a cavity – but it turned out not to be one. Well, I know I have one now. It doesn’t hurt, but – it’s become something for me to obsess with lately. I play with it with my tongue, and really must get it filled.

Of course, it’s on the side of my mouth that I tend to chew my gum most.
(Take that Trident… sugarless or otherwise, I still got a cavity. Who cares what 9 out of 10 dentists prefer..?)

Today I have an appointment to get my teeth cleaned, where the hygienist will use what I’ve always referred to as the dreaded “cavity finder” – and I will proudly accept the finding of my cavity (or two...) and schedule to have it filled – as if it was a badge of honor. I mean – who doesn’t have a cavity at this stage of life?

I used to be petrified of needles. Truthfully – they’re still not my favorite thing, but now the thought of having a novacaine doesn’t bother me so much. After having Csections and knee surgery, seriously – a filling has got to be like a walk in the park. I just hope I never have to have a root canal! The stories of those scare the living daylights out of me, and that is something that ugh – this girl hopes she never has to go through.

In any event, I am looking forward to having my teeth primped, polished and shined.
Maybe...the brighter the smile – the better my luck will be at tonight’s meeting.

Here’s hoping anyway…

2 comments:

Nichole M said...

I've had a couple of root canals. My endodontist was excellent, so I didn't feel a thing. It's all in the technique!

Suldog said...

Your FIRST cavity! Wow. My teeth were always bad. I had cavities from the time I was five or six. And the past tense, when referring to my choppers, was used intentionally :-)

You've been seriously blessed.