Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Can you feel it coming in the air tonight...

I should've known it was going to happen.

My son had a stomach virus last week...that unfortunately and very rapidly spread to my daughter on Friday. As we were in the movie theatre (my son to watch "Wolverine" with G, my daughter and I "Night at the Museum 2"), during the previews my daughter sat up and looked at me and said "I'm going to throw up"....and she did. All over me. And my popcorn. But hey - that's what us Mothers are for. While her being sick completely interrupted our birthday dinner plans, I drove home - bathed her - and then had to drive back to pick up the boys (complete with a bucket for her, poor thing) my son announced he didn't want to have dinner without us and if I just made him a bowl of spaghetti he'd be perfectly happy. Love him? Absolutely I do.

Fortunately, my daughter got only a touch of it and by a few hours later was fine -- and was perfect in the morning, bouncing down the stairs ready to go on her sleep over for the aforementioned wedding I was supposed to attend. Which, I did go to - and I did have a nice time at. (Note to future brides: Don't plan a wedding at the Castle on Crane's Beach and plan it to be a partially outdoor wedding reception until mid-July. M'kay...? Thanks! Can you say "freezing?!?!"). Here are a few pictures of the soiree... hamming it up for the camera of course.


(That's me on the right. The girl who was my flower girl at my wedding - to the left!)





The next morning I awoke to an ache in my stomach, that I definitely could not attribute to alcohol. Oh no, this was far worse than anything I could have drank. Wouldn't you know -- the damned stomach virus reared it's ugly head and I was a mess. I got it worse than both kids! So much so, I missed my son's birthday party...I don't think I have ever been more disappointed. (The only saving grace is that I generally have it at my house and there's anywhere from 60-80 people there with my manning the grill. Fortunately, with the second business possibility - we opted to do a party for just his school friends at a location of his choice, which was Rollerworld.)

So G had to do the party without me, because I was violently visiting the Goddess of Porcelain. And so not a happy camper about it either. I had a headache, and a fever -- the works. Sure enough, I get a phone call at 2:15 (the party started at 1) -- and G is now also in the bathroom at Rollerworld, sick as a dog. He somehow manages to drive home...I crawl downstairs to the sofa so I can be with the kids because I know he's got a loooong time of visiting the ol' porcelain fixture ahead of him.

And the kids were so great about just hanging with me and watching tv, not arguing too much until they both went into their rooms at 7 to watch a movie so I could crawl back upstairs and go to bed. Let me tell you, if I could erase Sunday from my memory bank, I would.

Yesterday we both felt great, outside of some residual stomach gurlgling (that's still lingering, truthfully) and went to Fanuiel Hall with the kids. They had a blast! And to top it off, my son got picked to be a "guest street performer" for one of the acts where he spent 20 minutes or so helping them out and was hysterical. He was so proud, afterwards people were stopping him and recognizing him from the show. Not a terrible way to end a birthday weekend that didn't quite go to plan.

I've got to tell you, I wouldn't wish this virus on anyone. It's some nasty stuff.
If you hear of anyone having it -- don't walk -- run, and hide.
Not a fun way to lose 7 lbs.

(Sure it's mostly water weight, but what the heck, I'll take it!)

2 comments:

Suldog said...

Funny you should mention Faneuil Hall in this post. Something you might be interested in attending there, June 8th, is featured at my place...

Rebecca said...

Hey Suldog - I know, I commented on Universal Hub. It's in my post for today as well... :) Which I will be adding at lunch...