Thursday, March 19, 2009

"I want pancakes!! You people understand every language except English! Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez-moi pancakes! Click-click-bloody-click pancakes!!!"

I'm working from home today, because that cold I mentioned yesterday - is kicking my butt. I've had a fever since I got home last night - and while my fever is lower today, I still thought since I had one, it was the smarter decision to stay home. I've got a busy weekend ahead of me, and would like to put this silly sickness in the rear view already.

So, I've been watching Food TV since 8 a.m. which is generally my channel of choice.
Did you know that Food Network doesn't show actual shows until 10am? It's informercials -- and that was incredibly disappointing. But anyway....I was able to catch up with my old friend Emeril -- whom I don't get to watch very often any more because my schedule conflicts with his. Clearly my people and his people need to talk and synch calendars. I get so many great recipes from him, so I'm glad we got to catch up. "Bam!" -- I needed that today.

But I have to say... as much as I'm sure she's a lovely person in real life -- I just can't stand Paula Deen. "YA'LL", (ugh!) she's always screaming that and it makes me want to reach out and slap her through the television.

Her recipes are amazing, and everything looks fabulous -- but I just can't stand to listen to her long enough to actually watch a whole show. Today, I was only able to stomach paying attention to the last half of her "Breakfast in Bed" episode, and she made these delicious looking Gruyere and Spinach puffs, as well as Dutch pancakes. I don't know about "YA'LL" but I could never eat puffs and pancakes. That would be far too filling for me. Besides, I'm truly all about the meats with breakfast -- bacon, sausages, hash -- throw a few eggs in there, and I'm good. I've never really been a bread or cake kind of girl. I mean, I like pancakes - enough to take a bite or two - but I very rarely eat a whole pancake myself. Just not my thing. There are exceptions to the rule though: I love French Toast. I swear, I could eat a loaf of bread if it's made in a pan. Baked French Toast, which is something I make Christmas morning generally -- eh, I'm only good for a piece, if that.

So now I'm watching Giada "I need bangs" DeLaurentis making a very interesting combination of savory and sweet gnocchi. It sounds fabulous.

Fortunately, I'm not cooking tonight. I made delicious Delmonico steak last night for dinner - or at least I think it was delicious because I couldn't taste it. I couldn't even eat. Actually, I've had very little outside of popsicles for the last 12 hours or so; and tonight is the kickoff of what is going to be my "Weekend of Sushi".

But more on that later.....

No comments: