Monday, March 23, 2009

"Cheese has always been a food that both sophisticated and simple humans love.”

So the Sushi Soiree weekend didn't come to full fruition.
But my God did I eat. I ate like I'd never seen food before.

Friday night - I was supposed to go for sushi & shoe shopping to celebrate a girlfriend's birthday. But....she had a borderline anaphylactic reaction to some allergy medicine she was on, and the poor thing not only looked awful, but felt even worse. So we rescheduled to this evening, which I inturn, have postponed - due to the fact that I think I have a sinus infection - and feel lousy in the morning, and even worse at night. But I'll get to that in a bit...

Anyway - I stayed home Friday, and G ended up ordering me a prosciutto & roasted pepper sub from AJ's which was okay. Not sure why TV Diner has raved out of their minds about it, I think the subs and calzones are just okay; but then again - Summer Shack is like their "golden child" and I'm rather unimpressed with them as well, so... look at the source, right? I mean, AJ's is good -- but I can think of a few places better. Just sayin'...

Saturday, another girlfriend came over - and we took the kids to Minado in Natick for lunch. She'd never been - and my kids and I love, love, love it there. The best sushi and Japanese cuisine buffet anywhere. She stayed the night, and we watched chick flicks which was a ton of fun. Of course we were stuffed from lunch and didn't feel like eating a big dinner, so me and my brilliant ideas thinks...."what goes best on chick flick movie night? Insane snack food." So I run out, and get all the fixing's for home made guacamole, 7 layer dip, salsa -- oh, and this amazing Pumpkin flavored cheese with wheat crackers. I swear, it was like eating Pumpkin Cheesecake. To die for....

Here's the thing, I can resist peanut butter -- but I have zero tolerance with any cheese products. Needless to say, I was congested and barely able to breathe - with a buzz from some good Sauvignon Blanc, as well as my overdose on sodium.

Sunday afternoon - we took the kids to brunch; hello, banana stuffed French toast (no whipped), homefries, sausage and two eggs over easy. And then I wonder how I put on 7 lbs. since the surgery? Right....

Which brings us back to today, which is the actual birthday of my girlfriend from Friday - whom I've cancelled with for tonight. Well, turns out - her lunch plans cancelled so I said "lets meet quick for lunch at least!". We initially opted for Panera - but then this sign "Sakura" caught her eye. It's a fast food, yet made fresh Japanese restaurant in the Woburn Mall. (I know what you're thinking, "mall sushi?!?!". Trust me, we both thought the same thing; but it was cheap and we were short on time, so mall sushi it was.) We're both pretty picky about sushi, and we were not at all impressed with what we saw (or the rude woman at the counter, but I digress....) but yet we were both very pleasantly surprised at how good the sushi was. It was better than good - it was actually, very good. And exceptionally inexpensive, might I add. Which allowed for a light, healthy and inexpensive lunch.

And even though my eyes hurt, and my sinuses are pounding -- I am going to venture into my first session of jogging tonight. Must get back into the physical routine of life again -- and say goodbye to those extra 7 lbs. which I'm oh-so-aware of. I think my surgery is far enough behind me to slowly get back into the running groove -- and today is the day I am starting. Besides, getting the blood circulating through my system might not hurt this sinus thing I've got going on as well.

Here's hoping, anyway....

3 comments:

Suldog said...

Where is the quote from? I can't quite place it.

Rebecca said...

Hey Suldog -
It's by M.F.K. Fisher, How to Cook a Wolf (1942).

It's a good one though, eh? :)

Suldog said...

I'll have to read that! Sounds quirky enough to be a true joy!