Monday, March 16, 2009

Moving at a million miles a day, in the outer spiral arm, at fourteen thousand miles an hour, of a galaxy we call the Milky Way...

I came into work this morning to find a book sitting on my desk: "The Ultimate Hitch Hiker's Guide: Five Complete Novels and One Story", by Douglas Adams.

It's a beautiful book, might I add. Bound leather, with soft fine paper and gold edges...you just don't see books made like this anymore, or at least it seems that way.

How did it come to appear on my desk, you might ask?
Well, on Friday - a co worker and I were discussing something work related, and he made a reference to something within this book as a joke; of course, I didn't catch on, and so he explained it to me; and then proceeded to unravel portions of the story, that were hysterical! I don't know if the stories themselves were that good, or his translation of it was - but I casually mentioned that I should pick up the book and read it. He just as casually mentioned that maybe he'd let me borrow his, which was a nice gesture - but not something I would ever hold him to.

And then - voila!
There it was this morning.

The timing couldn't be any better, as I'd been thumbing through a small pile of books I have at home that I have yet to read -- and feel uninspired to get to.
This however, has piqued my curiousity!...

If anyone out there has seen the movie (though I doubt it could compare to the literary version; nothing usually does!) or has read any of the books -- feel free to share your thoughts with this girl.

I'd love to know what you think!

No comments: