Saturday, January 31, 2009

Thank you....

1. To my cousin Julie, who spent 12 hours with me yesterday. Not only did she bring me to the hospital, but she hung out with me - and waited all that time in the hospital for me. My surgery alone was only 40 minutes, and the doctor told her I'd be ready to go 45 minutes after that - but because of my low blood pressure, the nurses refused to let me go for 3 hours and 45 minutes. Despite that, she happily waited -- and waited on me hand and foot thereafter as well. Words can't express my gratitude.

2. To my orthopedic doctor and the surgical team. I really liked my doctor before I had the surgery -- but I love him now. He made my whole experience an educational one - as well as truthfully....fun. He was perfectly fine with my request to have a spinal as opposed to anesthesia, and to stay awake and watch the procedure. I went into the OR expecting to just lie quietly and watch the screen; instead they encouraged me to talk and joke - he was just so good about teaching me all about my knee and what I was seeing. We were talking about the "out of body" like experience it is when you're awake and watching your surgery, because the truth of the matter is -- you feel it. It doesn't hurt at all, but you feel it. I opted to not have any sedative either, I wanted to be entirely clear headed and it was such a great choice. I told them when it was over, that as crazy as it might sound - it was really almost fun.

My orthopedic is one who is involved with the Red Sox and Boston Bruins, and as we all know doctors can sometimes be not so nice; especially when they have highly esteemed clients. But I was thoroughly impressed with his demeanor before, during - and after surgery. He made a point to see me and that says alot. Being the recovery unit for so long, I saw patients come and go; he was the only one that came in to just check on myself and his last patient for the day.

Best of all -- my knee is straight again. And while sure, it's sore - it's a good kind of sore. It's a healing kind of sore which is so different from the discomfort I felt before.

3. And finally, to Jason Varitek. The first thing I asked when I came into the recovery room was if anyone knew if he signed. That was the icing on the cake for my day. Fixed knee - and the Captain back on the payroll. I knew he didn't want to break my heart!

(Jason, listen - I personally feel you are far more valueable than what you signed for. Unfortunately your agent didn't do you any justice. I truly and sincerely hope you're rethinking that whole relationship. But here's the deal....you're here, where you belong - don't listen to the preagreement hype - you are loved and respected. Hugs and Kisses, Rebecca
PS: Please disregard the not so great appearance in the photo -- I was going in for surgery, so it's clearly not the height of fashion nor the best lighting.)

4 comments:

~**Dawn**~ said...

I'm so glad your knee is on the mend now. =)

The two things I like about Tek's contract: 1) It's guaranteed, one way or the other, for two years. 2) From what I'm reading, the bonuses built into his contract give him the opportunity to make more. I think he had to take a smaller contract for several reasons: he declined arbitration and the Sox hand the upper hand, especially with no one else biting; they needed to make a point to Boras, and if Tek insists on keeping him, that may be a price worth thinking over; and two other veteran catchers who had better seasons last year took one-year deals for under 2 million so he did get more than he likely would have from any other team. Like you, I am just glad that he's back.

Suldog said...

Glad you had the surgery and all went well. But, you watched it? Yuck. I had mine and I wanted to be asleep before I even saw the OR. They wouldn't give me the stuff until I got there, though.

Yes, I'm a catcher AND I'm a big baby.

Speaking of catchers, congrats on getting to ogle Tek for another year or two :-)

Rebecca said...

Suldog - you catchers rock. :)

Anonymous said...

Rebecca...hope the knee is doing well still. But I'll keep my Yadier Molina as catcher.

Later gator