Thursday, January 01, 2009

See yourself... You are the steps you take...You and you - that's the only way

I was watching a show this morning about how to keep New Year's Resolutions. A woman has written a book on it. Imagine? I should've done that - I'd be a millionaire right now.

Anyway, in her television piece she didn't mention one important thing - and that is to make your goals realistic. I think sometimes people try to accomplish miracles in 30 days - and when it doesn't happen, they give up on them. I think it's better to make goals that are reachable in a long term pace; I don't expect to have everything done in a week -- it's a goal for the YEAR, not the month of January. Seems like common sense to me - but hey, that's what makes us all different, right?

Without further adieu - here is my list of "resolutions" (aka self improvement list!) for 2009. I hope I am able to accomplish as many of them as possible.

1. I want to be better organized. This is pretty much on my list every year - I have this burning obsession with wanting things to be like "Real Simple" magazine. The truth of the matter is that real life with people in it - especially children - makes this very difficult to accomplish. My house is pretty well organized as it is; but there are some areas that could use a little improvement, so my goal this year is to get those taken care of. ASAP.

2. Projects in the house. This will actually help with the above mentioned organization. The kids rooms are small - and not set up well. Same with my bedroom. First thing on the list for projects is to re-design all the bedrooms in the house. Second on the list - put in a new door for the laundry room. Third on the list - touch up on painting. See - not many items, and all accomplishable. My extra on the list is to see if I can get a good price on replacing the staircase carpet with hardwood. Pricey - I know, but in this economy - I might be able to get a good deal.

3. Diet. This flipping knee injury is killing me. Of course, I'm eating insanely - and unable to work out, so I will modify my eating habits effective Monday. I'm doing okay, only gained a little weight and truly - not noticeable unless I point it out to someone; but no need to tempt fate. Besides there's no excuse on not being able to lift or do situps. That certainly doesn't require use of my knee.

4. Running/Yoga. AS SOON AS I CAN. Need I say more?

5. Business ventures/Writing. I haven't given up on opening a second store. It will happen, and I will keep looking for the right opportunity. Same with writing - I really would love to freelance, and so I'm hoping that with a little proactive persistance I may find a fun side job. Even if it's unpaid, I don't mind. I just enjoy having a topic to go on about.

6. Patience w the kids. This is 6th on my list, because I think as a parent - it's a constant thing that will be a continuous part of my relationship with them. But sometimes I feel as if I lose patience with my daughter, she's quite a spitfire; and while I know it's normal - it makes me feel as if I can improve in that area. So, even though she's clearly a personality that is going to constantly test me - I am going to try to be more patient with her antics.

4 comments:

Nichole M said...

That's an excellent point about resolutions, and one that many often forget, I'm sure.

Oh, and don't forget the push ups!! Anything that hurts that much *has* to be good for you.

Rebecca said...

Ah yes... love the burn. Embrace the burn... :)

Anonymous said...

lol good post made me happy
http://www.tycromedia.com

Anonymous said...

You are beyond cute, Rebecca. Keep writing, keep thinking, and keep on being you.

-Dr. Strangelove