Thursday, January 10, 2008

What's in a name?

So, clearly my girlfriend Jessica and I are trendsetters in the baby naming arena.

My daughter's name, "Sofia" - was the #1 girl's name for 20o7, knocking the name "Emma" from that spot for the first time since 2004.  Jessica's son "Aidan"' was the #1 boy's name for 2007.  And given the fact that our children are 3.5 and 3 respectively -- just goes to show that we are ahead of the game with regards to baby naming!   Who knew?  My son "Tyler" fell to 20th…and my name, interestingly enough had the biggest drop:

"What's on the way out?  Rebecca was the fastest faller, dropping 27 spots down to number 87. In boys' names, Adam, Robert, and Nathaniel look to be heading for the exit…" (www.babycenter.com)

Eh, I've always fancied myself as being a classic rather than a trend anyway. 


"Sofia (Sophia)" is a classic name as well - however my son's name is a bit more trendy.  I didn't pick that one though… Interestingly enough, had Sofia not been Sofia, she'd have either been "Isabella" (#2) or "Taylor" (#36).  Had she been a boy, the only name I had in mind for her was "Tristan". (#52)

Another little funny tidbit about my name…it must be the "cc" in the name, but anytime someone forgets my name -- they always refer to me as "Jessica".  I've been called "Jessica" more times in my life than you can shake a stick at.  And I want to say, that had I not been named Rebecca - my mother had once said she would've wanted to name me "Jessica".  I think I remember that correctly…?  My sister she would've definitely named "Jessica" except for the fact that since she named me, my father got to choose my sister's name.  I think that's the way the story goes….


But I was always destined to be "Rebecca" because she was definitely going to name me after her grandmother. 

So what does the name "Rebecca" mean? 

"The girl's name Rebecca \r(e)-bec-ca, reb(e)-cca\ is pronounced ree-BEK-ah. It is of Hebrew origin, and its meaning is "to bind or tie, such as in wed". : Rebekah, noted in the Genesis account as a maiden of beauty, modesty, and kindness, became the wife of Abraham's son, Isaac. The name was used by the Puritans and was common through the 19th century. Use of the name in the novel and film "Rebecca" also revived it.

Do you know what your name means?

4 comments:

Suldog said...

Sometimes I get someone calling me "Tim", rather than "Jim", but that's rare. Otherwise, no problems.

(I did have someone refer to me in print as "SLUGdog", but that may have been intentional...)

ramblin' girl said...

My name means... itself. Boring. But it is unusual, it barely broke into the top 250 names in the 50's but has declined in popularity ever since. Funny, though, I sort of always wanted to be named Jessica.

Susan said...

My name means smooth as a water lily. I don't get it..at all.

Jessica was tossed out as a name when my sister was pregnant then we casually reminded her of Roger Rabbit (the movie) and that was tossed in the trash!

My name used to be popular, not so much now.

chesneygirl said...

I love to talk about names!

I LOVE the name Sophia. When I was pregnant with my son, "Sophie" was one of the girl names I had picked if he had been a girl. But I kept getting grief from people, INSISTING that I HAD to name her SophiA and call her Sophie. But that's not what I wanted, I wanted to name her what I was going to call her.

But we had a boy so it didn't matter. And his name is one of the names you mentioned "on the way out" list. Adam. I love his name. It's very "classic," it cannot be misspelled or mispronounced and most importantly, cannot be shortened.

MY real name, on the other hand is complete opposite. (you didn't think my real name was chesneygirl, did you? hee!)
I used to hate my name. It is a very uncommon name that you will never find on these baby name lists. Growing up, it was (and still is) ALWAYS mispronounced and misspelled. I've grown to like it now, I rarely come across someone with my name and I think that's kinda neat!

Okay, I've rambled enough. sorry.