Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Politics is all just a rich man's game...

So.  Clearly we are a country that is divided --- and the nominations on either party's side is still anybody's game.


I think it's no surprise that McCain and Clinton won NH; Romney lost the MA vote no doubt (deservedly so…though I didn't necessarily disagree with what he did while he was in office, it's the flip flopping since that's turned everyone's stomachs), and McCain has always been a local favorite.  And Hilary Clinton would bode well in New England given the strong Democratic region - and I think the woman's vote pulled through for her in this region.



I missed (regrettably) the debate that was held last week between both parties, and need to see the next one.  I'm still so up for grabs on who I want as a representative of either side - so then I can choose which one I think best represents my thoughts, ideals and views.  And truth be told, I'm still not clear on who that candidate will be.  They all seem to have pros & cons -- again, it will fall often to the "lesser of both evils".



I can't stress enough how much this girl would rather a non-partisan election, and just have candidates voice their thoughts and opinions and let us vote for the one that we feel best represents us.  Why give labels and corner people into positions?    The Democrats aren't truly "for the people"…and the Republicans aren't "all about the wealthy".  Let's be honest -- you can't be poor and run for President.  Heck, you can't be poor and run for any public office.  Politics is a rich man's sport -- and you can't have money, and pretend to identify with those who don't.  No one can.  Even those with humble beginnings are so far removed at this point, that it's a blur in the backseat of their mind.   And that's okay -- but don't pretend to be middle class when clearly, you are not.  Politicians are celebrities…villianized or otherwise, they are still in the upper eschelon of society at the Presidential level.  And it sort of ticks me off when they pretend to be anything but who they truly are.

5 comments:

Smerdyakov said...

There are about 4,000,000 millionaires in the United States. Joe Biden isn't one of them. Neither is Dennis Kucinich. Or Mike Huckabee. Obama barely qualifies. Same as Tom Tancredo.
If your average salary is $40k a year and you put 8% into your 401K, You'll have well over a million dollars when you reach retirement age.

Networkchic said...

Isn't it kind of sickening that you can't be a politician unless you pretend to be someone that most days you'd deny ever knowing? I was listening to John Edwards talk about how we need to take back the power...I guess he doesn't realize that he's one of the 'Rich' we need to take that power from.

You know who I wish would become president...someone who's been homeless once in their life. I think if you've ever been without a home, a place to lay your head at night, you remember that and somehow it prevents you from becoming 'plastic'.

Thomas said...

"I can't stress enough how much this girl would rather a non-partisan election, and just have candidates voice their thoughts and opinions and let us vote for the one that we feel best represents us." - Kinda like the race for President of Red Sox Nation last year. ;)

I like Joe Biden, but I would've really liked to have seen Colin Powell run for President. I agree that money is a requirement, but the beating one takes running for the Presidency really leaves a lot of our best leaders off campaign trail. It's too bad.

Rebecca said...

Hi All - I dont often have time to comment back, but since I'm early this a.m. - I can do it.

I loved Joe Biden; he was probably my favorite choice in the first round of debates and wassad to see he didn't fare well.

Anonymous Assclown - I'll have to respectfully disagree with you; While some of the folks you named may not be on the books as millionaires, they are far from middle class. Would you agree with that?

Network Chic - I agree with you - I can not stand John Edwards. He almost makes me physically ill.

Thomas - hahaha, I wasn't involved in the race for Red Sox nation, but one can only imagine... ;)

Smerdyakov said...

I think you're confusing income with wealth. Having a net worth of a million dollars when you reach the age of the average presidential candidate is very attainable even on a middle class income (as demonstrated by my 8% of $40k example). Generally speaking, with one or two notable exceptions, most of the candidates didn't fall into their wealth. They earned it through hard work and wise decision-making, qualities which happen to come in handy for a US president.