Monday, January 07, 2008

Holy Headaches, Batman...!

I have had a headache since last night that just will not quit.


I would possibly chalk it up to maybe it's because I haven't had coffee
since yesterday morning...but I don't always drink coffee on the
weekends and don't have headaches; but it started last night which makes
me suspicious. And then it dawned on me. Its like Spring outside!
We've had an almost 30 degree jump in the last 24 hours.


I suffer from migraines, and often the weather will trigger them. Not
so much hot to cold, but cold to warm - absolutely sends me into a
headache mode. It's the worst. Especially since it doesn't normally
go away with Tylenol or even Excedrin. The headaches I get from either
hormones or weather, tend to just linger longer than if I was to develop
a bad headache from eye strain, or flourescent lights. I know that
there are prescriptions for migraines, but I'm rather anti-drug, and
would prefer something a little more natural and holistic in my approach
to treatment, so I don't use anything stronger than Excedrin.


It's funny, I try to explain to people that when you suffer from
migraines -- any headache you get has the potential to become a
migraine, but they feel very different from just a migraine itself. For
example, I can have a headache from the flourescent lights overhead if
they flicker -- it could easily become a migraine if I don't turn the
light bulb out, but it is not the same as when I have a migraine just
come on. A stress headache is usually starting in my forehead, eye
strain behind the eyes, sinus headache -- clearly in the sinuses. But a
migraine when it comes on -- is like a shotgun blast to the back of my
head, and I feel like I have to apply pressure to the back of my head to
alleviate the pain. They're so bizarre, and unexplainable. I've been
fortunate enough to be able to detect when a migraine is coming on, or a
headache is turning into one - and I can head it off. It's been a while
since I've had a full blown migraine where I'm unable to speak or walk.
I tend to run fevers when I have migraines, and the only thing I can do
is sleep it off. Which is difficult because my eyes hurt when I close
them -- but if you suffer from migraines then you also know the light
is blindingly painful. It's a no win situation until sleep takes over.


And even then, I'm left with what I call "headache hangover". It's a
dull, throbbing headache -- similar to having a hangover -- but it's
just a residiual headache from the migraine episode. And that can last
for days.


But today's headache I think is manageable. I started my detox - and
I'm going back to the gym today. Running sometimes helps a headache,
sometimes makes worse. Today is one of those days that I think I will
feel better after a good run.


Besides, it feels like Spring outside and even a headache can't bring me
down from that!!

2 comments:

chesneygirl said...

Ouch! Does not sound fun... hope the run helps.

Thankfully, I've NEVER had a headache in my entire life. Honest to God. People never believe me when I tell them that... but why would I make that up???

Susan said...

Migraines suck!