Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A girl in love with a gleam in her eye....

As I've mentioned many times before, I am a serious Sirius radio junkie.
I love, love, love my commutes to and from work because those are the
times that I really get to kick back and enjoy music with no commercial
interruptions. This is of course, when I'm not listening to Sports
Radio -- but generally speaking I am almost always found listening to my
satellite transmission. I'm a bonafide music buff, songaholic and lyric
master. My affection for music knows no boundaries...no genres. I'm as
enthralled by the angelic voice of Josh Groban --- as I am with a
classic Metallica song. (Pre "Black" album, preferably.)


I have many "favorite" stations on Sirius depending on what my mood is
for any given day. While I love to say that I'm "stuck in the 80s",
truth be told - I don't listen to the 80's station all that frequently.
But this morning, something made me change from my Coffee House Acoustic
station, to the Big 80s. Mark Goodman (remember classic MTV?) was
leading in a song that was about to air, and I was just about to switch
the station when the song title flashed on my display: "When you close
your eyes -- Night Ranger". That's it -- I was stuck back in the 80's
listening to what was once a "favorite" song of mine. The voices of
Jack Blades and Kelly Keagy just beg you to sing along. Which of
course...I did. Many times. And loudly. (In case you didn't know,
Sirius has the wonderful capability of rewinding a song so that you can
listen to it as many times as you'd like to. I always take advantage of
that little perk!)


This song just makes you feel happy. And of course, it brought me back
to a time where there was truly nothing but happiness. My life was
embedded in music, sports, and my friends. This song reminds me of when
I tried out for cheerleading and was waiting to see if I made the squad.
When nothing mattered to me more than whether Terry O'Reilly was
retiring - or if Gord Kluzak was going to make a comeback from his knee
injury. I lived and died by MTV and WBCN, and what concerts might be
coming to town. My friends were local musicians, athletes, and I was
the "star" of my high school drama club -- competing at the Drama Guild
competition.


This one song flooded me with those specific memories. Any other song
on any other day might trigger different ones. But those were the ones
that song brought into the foreground of my mind this morning.


So if you were driving along 128 South during the early hours of the
morning commute, and saw a blonde girl singing her heart out while
driving along.....well, that girl just might have been me.

1 comment:

Suldog said...

There's little so pleasing as driving along in a world of your own, belting out a song, oblivious to all around you... until you look to your left and see a carload of teenagers staring at you and laughing like loons.

I wanted to roll down the window and tell 'em, "You've got nothing these days - NOTHING - to compare to Highway Star!", but I figured it would be wasted effort :-)