Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Give in to the impulse!

So, yesterday I went to my favorite place in the world - Wrentham
Outlets (www.chelseapremiumoutlets.com) - with my cousin.
Can I just tell you? I cleaned up...I had unbelievable, unbelievable
deals.

First stop: Burberry. Where I bought myself this little number:
http://store.collivinghome.com/10labunochpl.html -- for a mere $48.00.
Not. Too. Shabby.


Then, off to Uggs. Where I found THE BEST pair of black, furry boots.
You know the ones that Pam Anderson, Jessica Simpson and Mariah Carey
always wear? They had them in Pink (
http://www.pointsincase.com/chad/uploaded_images/Fluffy%20Uggs-794883.jp
g) which is just a bit over the top for me stylewise - for $75. But
they did have one pair, in black (much more functional!) in my size --
for $125. And I had this AMEX gift card in my pocket just BURNING A
HOLE to buy them. But I thought, "now that's not too practical" - and
considering I was there specifically for Williams Sonoma to buy dishes,
which IS practical....I put them back with a sigh and thought "if
they're meant to be, they'll be there when I'm done and on my way to the
truck". Not that I couldn't have just bought the bullet and purchased
them, however...I am going on a vacation this week so truly, I should
save some money.


An Ann Taylor (www.anntaylor.com) pitstop always makes a girl feel good.
I found a navy on navy pinstripe skirt for $6.77 - and a pretty light
teal wrap front sweater for $9.99. Tada!


Moving on to Strasburg Children. (http://www.strasburgchildren.com/)
This is a store that has the most gorgeous children's clothing -
especially if you're a fan of crisp cotton and detailed smocking; but
unless you're Katie Holmes - one can't afford to dress their child in
these clothes on a regular basis. Maybe an occasional special occasion
item, but...so my cousin says "let's go in just for fun". Well - let me
tell you, their clearance section is "to die for". I spent $25.00 --
and got my daughter 4 outfits, a pair of shorts and a hairbow. My
reciept said I saved "$188.00". Clearance + another 30%. Moms, don't
walk -- run to their clearance sale. Not sure how much longer it's
lasting...


Next stop: Coach. (www.coach.com) Because now I'm thinking, "if I'm
going to skip buying dishes, and buy those fun boots, wouldn't it make
sense for me to indulge in a Coach bag. Far more practical than fun
boots!" Only problem was, every bag I went towards was $300-$400. The
ones that I would've spent the $100 on, over and above my gift card --
were too small. I couldn't commit. My cousin however, did find a
fabulous scarf for $25.o0. If that isn't a deal....?


And finally...Williams Sonoma. (http://williams-sonoma.com) Where I
found the prettiest dishes! I picked out 8 black & bisque colored
plates, with 8 coordinating salad/soup bowls in bisque with a pretty
raised pattern on the edges - and then 8 salad plates that were cream
with a beautiful rooster on them that has bright colors and really just
bring the whole setting to life. Plus, a coordinating Pasta Bowl in the
same pattern as the soup/salad bowls. And...2 boxes of Peanut Butter
Meltaways. (YUM!) Total damage to the AMEX gift card: $75.00!


Which meant I had $25.00+ on the gift card...which meant I'd only have
to pay $100.00 for the boots....which meant....I was buying them.
Except I didn't. Because they're not practical, and January is always a
financially difficult month with holiday bills - if this was March, it
would be a no-brainer! But I'm going on vacation this week...and truly,
the timing just isn't right. Besides, I bought my very practical
dishes.


So while I was in the shower this morning, I started thinking about
those boots. And how sure, I'd only wear them 5-6 times a year; but how
often will I use those dishes? The kids can't use them, they'll break;
and how often do I actually have people over for dinner where it isn't a
holiday? Not nearly as often as I'd like...so, let's say I use the
dishes, 5-6 times a year. And while I love, love, love my dishes....not
all that practical anymore, are they? As a matter of fact, they are
about as practical as those fun boots I wanted to buy.


Which means the moral of the story, is the title of my story. Give in
to the impulse.....you'll be thankful that you did!

3 comments:

chesneygirl said...

You have way too much willpower, girlfriend!!
I would have been ALL OVER those boots (the pink ones tho, of course) practical or not, especially at that price!!

Ah well, you sound very excited about your dishes, so the day wasn't a waste! ha ha ha!! :)

Suldog said...

Aaaarrggghhhh! Shopping! Do you have a husband chair I can sit in, and some Sports Illustrateds I can leaf through, until you're done?

Susan said...

And that is the exact reason I have 2 pairs of uggs, 5 or 6 coach bags, 3 leather jackets...need I go on?

I am very impulsive when the quality is good. You have to spend the money to get the quality, but I do look for sale things..