Friday, November 10, 2006

Who let the dogs out....?



So my morning got off to an interesting start.
I have a dog. A Jack Russell Terrier named Brandy. She's very protective of our house, but will get along with other dogs - so long as she can have access to them.

One of my girlfriends who's also a neighbor - has a gorgeous German Shepherd named Jack. Who's not good with other dogs. So Brandy and Jack, well - never the two shall meet. Until this morning....

I don't usually have Brandy on a leash. I live on a cul de sac, and I'm normally only letting her out after Jack has been walked. I usually can tell when he's been by because I've either seen him - or heard Brandy going ballistic as he walks by the house.

Occasionally, Brandy and Jack have skirted one another mostly because either I have her out with me in my arms as I talk to my girlfriend while she walks Jack; or Brandy may be out with my without my realizing Jack is coming out of his driveway. And what does Brandy do? She always runs right towards him. Which isn't a good thing because then everyone gets nervous not sure what's going to happen.

Today, they met face to face. It's wasn't very pretty....but it wasn't very ugly either. Jack is really a good dog, and truly I don't know that he would've hurt her anyway. He seemed a little perplexed when Brandy started to make all sorts of noises. But I didn't know Jack was at the end of the street when I let Brandy come out with me while I took out the trash. I had seen Jack walk by earlier, but didn't look to my right as I was walking across the yard. All of a sudden....I hear "No...!" and see Brandy running towards me, with Jack - looking very much like a lion running after her. She goes to hide behind me, but doesn't get there quick enough and Jack goes to put his mouth on her to hold her down - when I grabbed between the two of them - put my hand between them, grabbed Jack's scruff and told him to "drop it". Which, he promptly did. And he was perfectly content to just stand there as I picked Brandy up.

She was fine...he barely touched her. And he was great - really such a good dog. It's not Jack's fault if he has a high prey drive; and it's not Brandy's fault that she's curious to check him out. It is however my fault, to have had her off leash.

Dogs have their own psychology and their own society. It's our responsibility to understand them and know their limitations, both with people - and with other dogs.

I think Brandy's a little broken hearted though. I think she's got a little puppy love crush on ol' Jack.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aha, puppy love north of Boston, eh?

Hello, sorry I haven't been by in a while. What with work, my own blogging, and just plain being tired, I have been very negligent to those on my blogroll.

I trust this finds you well, neighbor to the north.

Martie said...

Good thing Jack listens well and lucky for you that no one got bitten. I love dogs and think they should all get along with one another, but like people, it doesn't happen that way. Glad it turned out the way it did!!

Lloyd L. Corricelli said...

My rat terrier hasn't experienced puppy love yet. Lately she's gotten quite full of herself after my wife made the mistake of letting her think she chased off a big cat. A few days later, she went for a ride and when my wife got home, Ginger jumped out of the car off leash, spotted a huge raccoon across the street and proceeded to chase it. Luckily we got her before she got to the woods or that racoon might have had her for dinner!

Peter N said...

I am animal lover...I have a beloved kitty who just turned 18 and a half.....and I thank the BIG GUY upstairs for EVERY day we have together. Life without him would be so too much different. Take care Rebecca...I love it here......

Big Ben said...

Good, I was glad this story didn''t end up with any maulings.

Suldog said...

Got near the end and thought maybe you got your hand bit. Glad to hear it all worked out OK!

Bougie Black Boy said...

i SOOO need to get a dog! Hope things are going well. And I LOVE you pimptress hat!

Anonymous said...

Just be thankful they were both fine! Dogs are funny that way.